The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jon G, fonz8261, MickeyP, Otto Skorzeny, 2-Ton, TexasJim50, 1 invisible), 90 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,383
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 94
OK, this graphic might be a bit of “over-kill”, but I’m in Houston
(inside) trying to deal with this virus crap and the temp outside is 100 degrees…

Anyway, my question is how would you calibrate/adjust
or bend the arm (which direction?)

From my drawing, if you bend it down, I agree that “EMPTY”
would read more accurate, also I wouldn’t be too concerned about “FULL”
as it would have to burn a bit more fuel before coming off of “FULL”, I’d be OK with that.

My concern is anything in between is not going to display accurately.
In my drawing, you can see my (current) fuel level and what is indicated when I turn on the key.
I realize this system is “old school” but I’d just like to have a fairly accurate indication
throughout the range.
Please help, how would you correct this? Thanks, Jim
Attachments
FUEL calibration.jpg (106.97 KB, 112 downloads)

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
We build lots of street rods so deal with this with the install of aftermarket senders. What seems to work as good as any is to fill tank HALF full and adjust sender float arm so gauge reads 1/2 full. This gives a near equal error for both full and empty and so far hasn't led to rides sitting on the shoulder out of gas. A good idea is to zero the odometer and carry a gas can so one can get a firm idea as to when things get quiet. If you do it more than once then the one behind the steering wheel needs adjusted.


Evan
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
I don't look at where the needle is exactly when it gets below the half way mark on the gauge. I look for when the needle quits wiggling from the sloshing gas. Once the needle stops moving, I know that I have about 30 miles of gas left, give or take and annoyed friend or two.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
I did it the way coilover suggests, start with an empty tank, fill with 1/2 of the rated capacity and adjust the sender to read half gauge.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
I have mine reading empty when there is three or so gallons left in the tank. I ran out once and want to make sure I don't do it again, thus the 3 gallon safety factor.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0