| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,675 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 4 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 4 | Hi everyone, I’m working on a ’50 3100 IFS swap using a 1978 Z28 Camaro subframe. I have the AD frame all jigged up similarly to the setup “MNSMITH” shows in Tech Tips. Have done a lot of searching of the forums, but need some more specific info on setting the ride height. Would like to end up with about a 2-4” drop. All I have to work with are bare frames. Does anyone know what height I should set the Camaro subframe in relation to the top of the 3100 frame in order to accomplish this? Thanks much for your help.
Norman51 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,258 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,258 | Welcome to the Stovebolt!!!!
For stock height, the top "hump" of the Camaro clip was set even with the top of the stock frame. Not the welded bracket that holds the upper "A" arm, but the hump it is attached to. So if you set your frame 2-4" below that hump line, you'll have your drop! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 4 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 4 | Thanks for your response. The hump on the Camaro clip you are refering to... is it actually a part of the stamped steel bracket that is welded to the top of the frame which holds the upper "A" arm? My upper "A"arm has a "rubber-schnubber" on the under side that acts as a lower limit stop to prevent the upper A arm from hitting the frame. At the point of contact where this "schnubber" would hit the frame is kind of a hump. Is this the "hump" you're refering to? Also, when you said "So if you set your frame"... you're refering to the stock frame? This makes sense. Also, a 2-4" drop... it is about right for a moderately lowered stance? Or maybe it should be more or less? I'd like it lowered but not real low. Thanks again for your help, Norman51 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,258 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,258 | Yes. The "hump" also goes wide to contain the top of the spring. If the Camaro was a complete frame ( like the truck frame ) and not a sub, the "hump" would be the high part on the frame "rail", when looked at in profile.
Yes, I was refering to the stock frame in the "So if you set your frame..." part.
I don't know about a moderately lowered stance. A lot of different things can affect the stance. Tire diameter, etc. I'm sure 2" would be pretty noticeable, especially with big 'n' littles. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 69 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 69 | Originally posted by MNSmith: Welcome to the Stovebolt!!!!
For stock height, the top "hump" of the Camaro clip was set even with the top of the stock frame. Not the welded bracket that holds the upper "A" arm, but the hump it is attached to. So if you set your frame 2-4" below that hump line, you'll have your drop! I agree....this is just shy of 2" drop. Much more than that it would be tough to drive around here [img] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/iceburgh/truck/14.jpg[/img] | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I'm currently mocking up a lowered truck in my shop. I've started by setting the frame I plan to use at what I think its ride height should be based on measurements I made before the body and such was removed.
Then I blocked the running boards into that I thought was the right location and did some measuring and thinking. I ended up moving things a bit. Next I'm going to sit the cab and front fenders on it and see where that ends up.
If you figure what ground clearance you feel good about, this approach will get things in the right neighborhood for you. I've thought worst case will be airbags to get it perfect if I don't like where it ends up.
My driveway is bad enough I need to stick with six or seven inches clearance or I'll never get in and out.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |
| |