Not sure how to proceed. I need to know if it is proper to remove the tranny and bell housing / clutch all at once. I really do not see many bolts holding this thing together. Also, is there anything I should know before pulling the tranny off the bell house unit? Really have no idea what to do first, or second????
The main thing you need to know..... it’s very heavy. Since it’s open access I would sling it from a engine hoist.ðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Two top tranny bolts come off, two bottom bolts from inside bellhousing. Remove trans., reach through bellhousing to access clutch, etc. To remove bellhousing, flywheel must be removed. Always replace throwout bearing.
It is heavy, prepare beforehand.
Ed
Last edited by EdPruss; 06/28/20203:41 AM.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
??? Not sure I understand the trans removal. Does the transmission come off while the bell housing is still attached to the motor? Sounds like I should be able to access the bottom bolts inside the bellhousing while everything is still all together, is that correct?
The only transmission replacement I have done was 350 automatics in 80 trucks, many years ago. So this is very new to me. thanks
"Does the transmission come off while the bell housing is still attached to the motor? Sounds like I should be able to access the bottom bolts inside the bellhousing while everything is still all together, is that correct?"
Four bolts hold the transmission to the bell housing, then slide it straight back, but be prepared as others have said, the trans weighs about 140 pounds...
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD