I have my chassis complete and rolling... now working on the body panels... Took them out of storage... bare metal panels had some light surface rust on them so I sprayed them with POR 15 Metal Prep. Kept it wet like the instructions said... all the rust had dissolved after 30 minutes so I rinsed it off...
Well after I rinsed it off, the rust on the surface was WAY WORSE... See below for before and after pictures... and yes the pictures are named correctly.
What did I do wrong? The whole goal was to eliminate the sanding... now looks like I will be working out the ole manual sander...
Any advise?
53 3100 purchased brand new by my wife's grandfather... full frame up restore in progress.
Any high build primer will fill any small imperfections like that easily and quickly. You'll still have to sand, but you'd have to do that with primer anyhow. Good luck.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Scuff it clean, apply EPOXY primer which will prevent any rust creep as it's the only product that's designed to stop rust. After the epoxy is on, put anything over it as it just doesn't matter because the Epoxy is THE most important first step... including Pour products...