The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (dt235sd, Opelika Tom, Bill Hanlon, tclederman), 79 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,078
Posts1,056,285
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 37
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 37
Hello. Getting ready to paint the firewall on my 47 3100 before I put the cab back on the frame. I have cleaned and sanded but most of the original paint is still there. I know nothing about paint so my question is will I be able to apply the primer over the old paint or is there something else that needs to be done first? Thanks.


1947 3100
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,502
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,502
As long as you've sanded and cleaned, you should be ok. If you're using primer you should not need a sealer, but not knowing what make/type of paint you're using I can't say for certain. Some paints are really sensitive. I've never had a problem doing this.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 124
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 124
What ever the first coat that goes on is, it needs to be compatable with the old paint. That is something the paint store folks should be able to help with. Certain paints will eat into and blister older coatings and if that were to happen you'd have to strip it down to bare metal and start over. Oh, and make sure to read the can instructions carefully. Don't ask why I say this.


38 Chevy 1/2 ton being resto-moded
65 AC Cobra replica
USAF vet

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0