The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
On my '51, I just noticed a couple of water tracks, inside the cabin, at the headliner J rail, drivers side. I don't remember what the factory did to seal that joint, where the roof and sides come together. But I'm going to have to remember to run some sealant down the full drip rail before I do final paint. Maybe I sanded too much paint out of there when I stripped it? As far as I can tell, the roof panel sits on top of the side panel rail that has the drip rail. Might have been better if they had made the roof panel with the drip rail lip that attached to the side panels. Ah, but what do I know.......

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,489
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,489
I've used a common DAP caulk known by the model name "Alex". It is siliconized but also easily paintable, indoor/outdoor and they claim a 40 year life. No idea what was used at the factory, but you don't want water being harbored in that crack.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
On the belt line of my 54 if I remember correctly I used 3m brushable seem sealer was done in1988 still on there although it is not on the top like yours in SoCal but in snow cal Ontario .I believe you can get the same stuff in a tube for easier apply .I used masking tape to tape off the area were I did not want it and used the rest for sealing were I welded patches on the underside .


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
My chosen product, which I have already used in other Suburban locations, like at the rear corners.
Attachments
3M.jpg (104.48 KB, 59 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,489
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,489
At $20 to $25 for 5 ounces, that stuff ought to apply itself.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I could probably make one tube do both rails. Time will tell.


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0