I am mad at myself and the person I bought the engine from. I was told it was a 292 but a fellow forum member informed me it was not what I thought it was. So could someone help me trying to tell me what inline 6 I have. The number by distributor is CL9601592. Also I want to add a automatic transmission and what flexplate would I need? Thank for your help I added a couple of pictures the engine. Hopefully I did it correctly. If not I will try to load pictures of the engine
We need the casting code as shown in the picture below. Then we can tell you. Don't be mad yet ... If you can give us the date code, too, great. The engine casting code will tell us. It is a raised number and will look like the example in the second image/attachment.
The engine in the picture is a 261, but the codes might be in the same place on those more modern engines. You might have to clean some crud off to read them.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Most likely a 250 with a HEI distributor from '75 or newer engine. All 250's are basically the same, all heads interchange and keep the same compression ratio. The 230 uses the same block casting numbers, so look down the spark plug holes to see if it has dish or flat top pistons. 230's have flat top, you can also measure the stroke, 230 has shorter stroke. Both use the same heads.
The location of the fuel pump on a 292 is center of the block.
1951 3100 Chevrolet 1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall Image "A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"