The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (55shaker, Woodcmiami, Rusted Nut, Gdads51, CuzzFuzz, Still At It, 1 invisible), 156 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,138
Posts1,056,441
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 42
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 42
Hi legends, I’m building a 1.5 ton truck, but to get enthusiast registration I need to lower my GVM and as it seems disc brakes are easier on the 3/4-1ton axle I’m looking at options for that.

So my questions is a multi pronged

From what I can work out the TSM and nostalgia SIDS use early C20 calipers (I love this idea because if I make an issue parts are available even if tsm / sids stop doing them but what is the doc they are using? Is it something else machined and modified?

Is there a way of doing Disc brakes aside from these two kits?

Thanks heaps

Yeti?

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Yeti, 'Doc', is that meant to be disc? TSM used C20 and similar discs, however they are not rated for 1.5 ton, unless the GVW falls in the 3/4-1 ton axle range. The disc used depends on bolt pattern, do you have 8 on 6.5" or 5/10 on 7.25" or something else?

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,710
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,710
I put discs on my '38 1 ton. Mine are 6 lug. I used late 70's parts. Caliper is C10, rotor is K10. I fabbed up the bracket using plywood to get to the final rendering, then cut out of 5/16 steel.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 42
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by EdPruss
Yeti, 'Doc', is that meant to be disc? TSM used C20 and similar discs, however they are not rated for 1.5 ton, unless the GVW falls in the 3/4-1 ton axle range. The disc used depends on bolt pattern, do you have 8 on 6.5" or 5/10 on 7.25" or something else?

Ed

To make it work I’m going 8 on 6.5, I understood this lowers my capacity considerably and this actually suits

Last edited by TheYeti; 06/07/2020 4:42 AM.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0