Can someone tell me if this looks correct the way the anchor plate for shock is installed. I bought shocks from Lmc and they appear to be too short. Do I need to compress the leaf spring some how? There is not much weight on springs because it is only the frame. Also can some one recommend a book or manual with diagrams to help with this project. I have seen the old manual but it does not have a lot of pictures
That's exactly how my lower shock mounts are on my '51 3100. I think the shocks you got are wrong. The shocks should have to be compressed a bit to install. I might be able to find something stamped on my shocks if it would help you get the correct one.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Stupid question alert: Did you cut the plastic strap which keeps the shock from extending yet? If so, you have the wrong shocks The right ones will expand way past the lower mount once you cut the plastic strap without the bed, cab or engine installed.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Went out and looked at my one shock that was easily accessible, and the label was not readable, and couldn't find any other markings (stamping). But the rear shock cylinder measures 12" from lower eye to where the shaft emerges, and 21" from lower eye to upper shock mount. This is with bare chassis with no cab or bed.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
klhansen when i measure mine i get 23" In the picture i show the bracket is pointing down 90 degrees. Is that how yours is ? because if i flip it I think it would give me the 2" i need. Everything i find shows an extended shock around 21".
That appears to be your problem. From the looks of mine, they are pointing up, and do not appear to have been molested in their 69 years since being installed. I can extend my shocks a little over 1/2" from where they sit with just a couple of fenders and miscellaneous things on the frame by lifting the frame.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Thank you very much. i appreciate it. I took a picture of it before I took it apart and they were pointing down. I guess someone put them on wrong over the years. lol thanks again!
You're welcome. I went out and took another look and the outboard end of the lower mount is pointing slightly forward so as to align the shock toward the upper mount also, so there's a left and a right shock mount. I just checked the 47-54 FAM and it shows the 3100 lower shock mounts pointing down like yours, but that may be because it's really a '54 figure, with the lower rear frame hump. It would be interesting if someone with a '54 would let us know which way their rear shock mounts are installed. The '48-'51 shop manual has no pictures of the shock mounting.
Last edited by klhansen; 05/27/202012:44 AM.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
It appears Chevy just flipped the lower shock mounts to compensate for the lower frame hump in '54 models. Bean counters won again.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
klhansen After i flipped them I still had to compress spring a 1/2 inch to get them on. I'm hoping after weight added they will be alright. i guess its possible after all this time a 1954 rear end could have been put be on it. Ill have to see if a 1954 calls for longer shock.
The difference between 47-53 and 54 is that the frame hump is lower on the 54's. That was done so the bed floor sat lower. The rear axle assembly is essentially the same.
As I said earlier, I could lift my frame about 1/2 inch before the shocks stopped expanding. It could be that my rear springs have sagged a bit. I wouldn't be surprised about that.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.