The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (KEVINSKI, mick53, 55shaker, Peggy M, Gdads51, Hanks custodian, MickeyP, 1 invisible), 148 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,137
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#136091 12/22/2006 1:44 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
I have a new 350 crate in my panel. I was given a vintage set of valve cover gaskets without the oil filler or PCV valve. Can I run these or should I? I am running a Edlebrock carb so I if I do run them I'm assuming I just block off the line?

Mac

#136092 12/22/2006 3:11 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
Your motor has to breath one way or another.How would you add oil? You can use the PCV system(closed system),open breathers through the valve covers or an early style intake manifold if your heads will accept it.Look at the two intake bolts on each side of the carb.If they are vertical and not angled like the others,you can NOT use an early style manifold without machine work.I reworked one and it was not worth the trouble.I would look for some nice open breather valve covers.


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
#136093 12/22/2006 4:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
yes, use the pvc. Motor needs to breath or you will blow seals and gaskets. Ive heard that you can go through the manifold if u dont want to drill the covers.

#136094 12/22/2006 8:25 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
look at the back side of the valve covers and see if there is a "knock out" for the oil breather/oil filler.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
#136095 12/22/2006 9:12 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
thanks!

#136096 12/25/2006 6:29 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 8
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 8
Also understand that you have to let clean air into the block and the dirty air gets pulled out by the PCV line. This is how the blowby and other gasses get pulled out of the block. If you just vent the block without a system to move the bad air out you will soon have acidic oil.
lg
no neat sig line

#136097 12/25/2006 2:25 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 151
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 151
Yes you do need to run the PCv valve. I didn't put one in and just blocked the hole in the valve covers off and the cap has no breather while I finished building. Well I messed up bad. Didn't pay attention and built up pressure in the motor and blew out the oil pan gasket. My own fault. And all I was doing was going from the grage out and back several times and running the motor just to keep it lubed up properly.


David
Just a firefighter,
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
'46 1/2 T Panel

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0