The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Hanlon, MRMEROTH11, JW51, Mike Burns, KEVINSKI), 110 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,396
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 57
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 57
Hi folks,

I have a '54 3600. It's got a 383 with a tremec TKO600 5 speed. Rear has a custom built 9" axle. Here's my question, what is the best way forward for the torque tube? I've read from another on here that a straight tube was about 2 inches shorter than the shop that built it would allow. I'm just wondering if the old two section tube is right or not when pushing towards 500hp.

Welcome comments and experience

Thanks

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
The word "torque tube", here, means an enclosed driveshaft. A 54 3600 has an open drive shaft. Like a regular drive shaft. You may have a two piece open shaft with a center carrier bearing. If these shafts have a large enough diameter you are OK. You may also be able to use a one piece. Talk to a good driveshaft shop. They will advice for your truck and HP and make whatever you need including proper Ujoint/coupling and spline ends to fit what you have.
You do not want a Torque Tube driveshaft. (enclosed drive shaft)

I may or may not have answered your question. I don't know exactly what you are asking. But this is a start.

What is going on with the TCI Stink Link?


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 57
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 57
Yes you perfectly answered it thank you.

More mess with the TCI link. However I've made progress. They sent new frame brackets (the kit included 2 passenger side frame brackets.....). I went out and bought hardware to attach frame brackets to the frame (no that wasn't included for some reason). So after drilling that out, they're on. Last night i cut off the old axle brackets and this morning I'm taking the axle over to my friend's shop who is a welder to get the new ones back on. I'm hoping to have it all together in the next few days. I'll do a full post update on how to install the kit once I'm finished. I should've given up a while ago, but I'm stubborn...


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0