The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, Ole49GMC, HandyAndy), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,580
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 52
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 52
I'm Rob Harris. My wife Amy and I recently bought a '48 GMC 1/2 ton long bed 5 window pickup. I'm a 3rd Gen GM factory rat working here in KC. We're originally from Pontiac, MI but transferred here during the recession.

We also have a '67 GTO, '09 G8 GXP 6 speed, '08 G6 GXP, and a '14 Sierra (We love our Pontiacs and GMC's.)

We just started working on the '48 project and hope to have it roadworthy by spring. I've already gotten a lot of useful information and personally met a couple of new friends from the site.

Last edited by Phak1; 10/17/2023 11:29 PM. Reason: added more info to the title
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
Welcome Rob and Amy!!
There are a lot of bolters around the KC area.
The Stovebolt Reunion is held there every Sept.
You will need to join us and meet up with the gang next fall.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
GTOkid and Amy, welcome to the 'bolt.

Please scroll through the various forums to see what they have to offer.

Make sure to check out the rules of the page as well.

Questions pertaining to your problem are welcome and will usually get answered quickly.

There are many "how I done it's" here as well that can be found using the search feature.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 52
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 52
After 2 years our '48 GMC long bed 1/2 ton finally runs and drives! We completely replaced the wiring upgrading to 12V,the fuel system and brakes. The head had to be reconditioned and we installed new rings and bearings. Mechanically it's very sound and safe to drive now. Along the way I've received quite a bit of help from folks on this forum. Without you this wouldn't be possible. Thank you all!
Attachments
20200503_162858.jpg (304.02 KB, 201 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 178
C
Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey
Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 178
Congrats!

Um, you know that 1 picture is not going to cut it though, right?

Quit teasing and lets see it!!

Well done,
Steve


1946 Chev 1/2 ton - 6V/+ground/Bias-ply original - shake/Rattle and Roll! (SOLD)
1940 Chev 1/2 ton Franken/Restomod
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
I agree! More pics!! The teaser pic looks great though. I love seeing stuff like that on the road because if your a truck/car guy you know its a labor of love and not just anyone can/will put the work in. Thats why i would be out the window giving it 👍 thumbs up on the way by.

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 52
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 52
I had to wait for a chance to take some new pictures. I had to take lower quality pics to be able to post them here.
Attachments
20200508_202052.jpg (300.64 KB, 140 downloads)
20200508_202015.jpg (246.72 KB, 145 downloads)
20200508_201739.jpg (296.01 KB, 145 downloads)
20200508_201322.jpg (396.39 KB, 148 downloads)
20200508_201344.jpg (336.76 KB, 141 downloads)

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 242
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 242
Very original looking, clean too!
A museum on wheels.


'59 Chevy Suburban, NAPCO
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Nice looking grocery getter GTOKID . I'd like to have another AD and make it similar to Barnfind49 truck. All Patina on the outside but updated interior, rolling chassis, and another LS on the business end.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 52
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 52
Interior
Attachments
20200509_105845.jpg (184.97 KB, 104 downloads)

Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
So it was originally blue??

Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 178
C
Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey
Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 178
Looks great!

I like the white lettering on the hubcaps, very eye catching.
The GMC on the valve cover would look great with the same treatment.

Well done!


1946 Chev 1/2 ton - 6V/+ground/Bias-ply original - shake/Rattle and Roll! (SOLD)
1940 Chev 1/2 ton Franken/Restomod
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 52
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 52
Thanks for the compliments. Yes I believe it was originally blue. The truck came from ND after sitting for about 35 years. Very solid. It's amazing after all those years in the elements darn near every nut and bolt came loose without a fight. They definitely don't make em like this anymore!

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
The low quality pics didnt hurt it one bit. Nice truck. Congrats

Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
Yea looks to be ferrara blue like my ‘49. Beautiful color if you like blue.
I agree with how nice it is when 70yr old hardware comes apart beautifully. I work on 10yr old trucks that nothing will come apart on without a torch. I have not broken 1 bolt on mine while working on it. Even the splined coupler on the column shift came right apart no problem. That AMAZED me!


Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0