Hello, I am replacing my inner cowel. I'm not sure how to remove the weather strip retaining strip. It's the piece of metal that wraps around the door frame on the inside of the truck which holds the weatherstripping. It looks like i'ts welded onto the cowel. Do I need to find spot welds and drill them out?
It is spot welded on, but it's pretty thin metal, so you can probably just pry it loose with a screwdriver or seambuster tool. I just removed some of mine by cutting with a body saw "just" thru the weatherstrip retainer, then pried it off. You could drill out the spot welds, but that seems like more trouble than it's worth to me.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Mike, just for informational purposes the Driveline Forum is not the proper place to ask a Paint and Body question. Before posting look through the various forums and post in the most appropriate forum. Kevin graciously answered your question because he’s a nice guy. Drive on.ðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Pretty hard to save the retainers. Even drilling out the spot welds is going to leave them in pretty bad shape. You either buy the repop chunks or fab your own if you have access to a sheet metal brake.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.