The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1358133 05/01/2020 6:46 PM
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
I was in the process of changing temperature Guage when I came across this issue. The original gauge is electric, and the gauge cluster will only fit this electric model. I didn't think they were supposed to be anything but the capillary tube type. Has anyone else come across this issue? If so, how do I make the original one work again?

-Jerid
Attachments
IMG_20200501_122736.jpg (138.8 KB, 172 downloads)
IMG_20200501_122742.jpg (200.47 KB, 171 downloads)

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
There are various GMC electric senders, might try one to see what results you get.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
Nice! No breaking the old tube for you! I’ve never seen one before.


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
The Jim Carter catalogue says to inquire if you have an electric gauge. I'm not sure if this means they might have a sending unit for you or might have a gauge. You should inquire. I believe the electric gauges were used primarily on the bigger trucks, 1-1/2 ton and up. Post a 'wanted' request in the swap meet section.

You could also replace the gauge cluster housing with one that used a capillary sending unit. They are readily available as a used part and there are reproduction gauges available. If you get lucky you might also find a NOS sender.

Restoring the gauge cluster was one of the more satisfying jobs I've done on my '48 GMC 1-Ton.

Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
Great, thanks for the advice. I may look at Jim Carter's magazine again to see what I find.
Oddly enough, it seems to read correctly when I have the whole gauge assembly dismounted and the truck on, yet then the fuel gauge dropped to zero. Seems like some sort of grounding problem. I'll chase it a while, but then will probably just get a new gauge.

Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
My 49 GMC 150 also had a electric gauge. Confused the hell outa me. I did search aroubd for a sender for a while and they are scarce because they are some oddball ohm value. I actually had a extra gauge set so I used the gauge back to run a new simple capillary tube style but i think you could easily mod the gauge housing to fit either. Its just a matter of drilling those 2 holes or opening up the center. I will try and find my part numbers that I saved when I was looking before.

PN 1511734 is what I have found on the interwebs. They say its 520 ohms @180 degrees. I remember they were all expensive and I wasnt sure if the gauge head was good so I opted to go with the mechanical gauge and its been fine. I actually swapped gauge faces so my original worn face is on it now so it dosent stick out.

Last edited by Barnfind49; 05/03/2020 6:40 AM.
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
This is what i was talking about...😜

Sender

Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
Yikes!! That is one pricey little piece. Definitely looks like the one someone stuck in my truck though.
Attachments
IMG_20200503_135132.jpg (324.21 KB, 98 downloads)

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Interesting. The Parts catalog doesn't show an electric temperature gauge. It sure looks original, with a typical part number on the face of the gauge.
[on edit] Nevermind. I was looking at the Chevy parts book. blush

Last edited by klhansen; 05/03/2020 8:11 PM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
So all you asked was "how do I make the original one work again?". Then a huge dialog began.
So I will asked the important questions. What is wrong with what? Do you have an electric gauge and an electric sender? Are you saying that the temperature is not reading right? What does the gauge do? Have you tested the gauge or the sender? What is the goal?

For those wondering why convert to 12V as GM did in 1955:
1. No big huge cables required
2. You can buy a 12V battery anywhere.
3. Faster starting, especially in cold weather.
4. You can add accessories, winch, electric wipers, radios......
5. You can by bulbs anywhere
6. You can get a jump start from someone without burning out bulbs and gauges.
7. Automotive is built around 12V systems
8. Testing is built around 12V
9. Aftermarket is built around 12V
10. You can buy a 12V alternator anywhere and cheap. You can't buy a generator or Voltage regulator anywhere and cheap.
11. Brighter headlights and tail lights, no need for relays
12. You can charge your cell phone
13. 6V takes twice the current/amps to get the same watts. If you have 50W hi beam headlights, they will draw twice as much current as on a 12V system. I.E. 100W (both headlights) is 100W/6V=16.7 Amps vs 100W/12V= 8.33 Amps. You can run out of amps on 6V. (dimming, etc). Then you start bandaiding with relays, voltage regulator tricks or living with it.
14. May take a special harness to rewire a 6V truck.
15. It's so easy and inexpensive.
16. There is no reason not to convert except to prove something...........I don't know what.

No shade on those who like 6V, just a list for those asking why bother. If you switch, only your hair dresser will know for sure.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Originally Posted by bartamos
So all you asked was "how do I make the original one work again?". Then a huge dialog began.
So I will asked the important questions. What is wrong with what? Do you have an electric gauge and an electric sender? Are you saying that the temperature is not reading right? What does the gauge do? Have you tested the gauge or the sender? What is the goal?

For those wondering why convert to 12V as GM did in 1955:
1. No big huge cables required
2. You can buy a 12V battery anywhere.
3. Faster starting
4. You can add accessories, winch, electric wipers, radios......
5. You can by bulbs anywhere
6. You can get a jump start from someone without burning out bulbs and gauges.
7. Automotive is built around 12V systems
8. Testing is built around 12V
9. Aftermarket is built around 12V
10. You can buy a 12V alternator anywhere and cheap. You can't buy a generator or Voltage regulator anywhere and cheap.
11. Brighter headlights and tail lights, no need for relays
12. You can charge your cell phone
13. 6V takes twice the current/amps to get the same watts.
14. May take a special harness to rewire a 6V truck.
15. There is no reason not to convert except to prove something...........I don't know what.
Three words, bartamus.
Chicks dig it.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Carl please redo your post and the quote, I was revising. I am finished now.....and thanks for the misspelling...you of all people.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
Well I apologize for jumping the gun on posting this thread. Turns out the gauge works fine after cleaning up some wire connections and of course, replacing the thermostat. I naively assumed assumed it was functional, but it was definitely stuck open, making it seems like the gauge was reading incorrectly stuck on 100 degrees all the time.

Thanks again for the information from everyone.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
It's OK, we should have stopped and asked more questions. The key to helping a person is to finitely confirm the issue and the symptoms. To understand what a person is saying before we start blasting away. I have always tried to use this approach but I forget sometimes.
Very glad you do not have an issue. Don't hesitate to post with the next problem you may have.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0