The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (klhansen, Uncles51, CharlieF, 1955 1 Series), 88 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,294
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
I am finally back north where I can work on my 53 truck. I'm mocking up the many many patch panels with sheet metal screws, hoping to check everything for fitment prior to welding, recommended by Carl52 I think. I'm wondering if I should paint the patch panels with something, epoxy or ? for future rust control, prior to welding them in place. I'm particularly thinking of panels that will no longer be accessable, i.e. insides of cab corners , and cowl panels, etc. Should they be painted first, or is the black coating on them from the suppliers adequate? I was thinking of painting them with epoxy and then sanding it off around the weld areas, prior to welding. Is this a good idea, or overkill?


Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
1947 Indian Chief
1943 Indian 741
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 124
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 124
Not sure how much good it does but I've used weld through primer on the inside of some patchs that would be nonaccessible after attachment.


38 Chevy 1/2 ton being resto-moded
65 AC Cobra replica
USAF vet
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I used a rust encapsulator POR-15 for these kind of areas. You will not be able to get all of it on the patch due to welding. I TIG welded all my panels which leaves a small heat affected zone but there still is one. How do you plan to use the truck? All weather, outdoor storage, etc. My truck is fair weather only so I don’t think rust issues will ever come into play in my lifetime.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129083489/in/album-72157631867396207/

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,081
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,081
Robert (MPandC) does use epoxy paint on patches, and uses a flat tip drill bit to remove the paint in plug welds.
It can't hurt to paint them, but when you think about it, will panels rust thru in your lifetime if left uncoated? Maybe if you drive the truck thru a vat of acid. wink
It's a personal preference, IMO. I have brushed on some epoxy in areas that will be concealed in my work, which is a lot less trouble than setting up to spray it. That's another trick I picked up from Robert.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I've used Encapsulator, weld through primer, epoxy primer, what ever fit the situation. On the Burb fender well, I reached up between the inner and outer panel with Encapsulator and sprayed as much as I could. With the A project, everything comes apart. So a lot of Epoxy, then clean where you need to weld. Hidden/folded stuff got weld through.

To what Keven said, look inside your A pillar when you can. Or even far up under the dash. No protection and 70 years later, a layer of surface rust with no rot through.
Attachments
modela178.jpg (76.16 KB, 148 downloads)
modela180.jpg (59.33 KB, 152 downloads)
1952suburban559.jpg (63.68 KB, 147 downloads)
1952suburban560.jpg (57.63 KB, 144 downloads)
1952suburban561.jpg (52.63 KB, 137 downloads)

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,081
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,081
To add to what Mark said, here's a shot of the underside of the cowl on my cab where the blaster couldn't get to. A little surface rust, but still solid after nearly 70 years. Compared to the lower sections of cowl that were totally rusted away, it's not a big concern. But I plan on getting some kind of coating down on the bottom parts that will see road spray and possibly collected moisture.
Attachments
IMG_2916.JPG (344.58 KB, 125 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
Thanks guys, that kind of answers my question. I'll be using my truck for an around town daily driver. I don't drive any of my old vehicles in the rain unless I get caught out somewhere, and have to. I will never drive it in the snow. I keep both rust Encapsulator and epoxy around anyway, so I'll just use those wherever it makes sense.


Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
1947 Indian Chief
1943 Indian 741
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Try this.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
One thing about most of the areas where we replace spotwelds with TIG or MIG welding, if those areas do rust (and they will), it will never show as long as you keep the inside of the truck dry and the exterior prep and paint was done right.
Can one lessen the amount of metal affected by welding by using weld-thru primer? Yes. Can one eliminate this affect entirely? No.
Now you need to ask yourself this question. In the time which you have left in your lifetime and your kid's lifetime, will anyone ever know if it was used or not?

Last edited by 52Carl; 05/02/2020 2:35 AM.

1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0