The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (stlcardinalsguy, Otto Skorzeny), 138 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,510
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
3
Member
Member
3 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
My leaf springs are mounted to the axle too wide for the frame I am trying to mount them to. I would like to move the axle leaf spring mounts in to fix this problem. Is this difficult to do? Can I just cut them off and reweld them to the place I need them? Do I need to take the whole rear end apart?

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
Its not a big deal to move them. You can get replacement spring pads from most venders or even your local trailer supply house. The only two problems you will run in to are, keeping them centered side to side, and setting the pinion angle correctly.

A good way to set the pinion angle (truck needs to be together, with full weight on the axle) is to bolt the rear axle in place with out welding the pads to the axle. Then using a angle finder gauge,(Harbor Freight) set the pinion to the correct angle then tack weld the pads to the axle tubes, remove the whole unit and finish the welds. This would also work to center the axle side to side.

The original pinion angle and your truck will most likely be different. Check past post on this site for pinion angle information. The simple answer is, set it at the same angle as the transmission tailshaft. A example would be, if trans is pointed down 2 degrees, the the pinion should point up two degrees. Rear some more information on the 4x4 sites and driveline sites.

I use a cut off wheel in a hand grinder to get the old pads off if I going to reuse them. You can torch them off if you have new ones, just stay clear of the axle tubes when torching!

If you are not sure of the past life of the axle, now would be a good time to open it up and clean out all the oil and sludge. Pull the axles and head out to the car wash and really give it a good cleaning. Spray the gears down with WD-40 when done. It will be a lot easyer to work around once clean, plus less of a chance of a oil fire from welding. Joe

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Some good advice from Joe.

If your transmission doesn't have enough room on the tail shaft or if your transmission isn't installed and you want to set the pinon angle, put you angle finder on the bottom of the starter. The starter angle is also the same angle as the transmission tail shaft.

If you get your rear axle set up correctly and everthing bolted in place with the correct pinion angle and you can't weld or don't have anyway to spot weld the spring pads to the axle, pull the springs-rear axle bolted together and take it to the welding shop as a unit and have them spot weld and final weld the spring perches to the axle.

Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
35chev,I did what joe and joe said.I must have measured everything at least 1000 times,i wanted to make sure it was right.I purchased a rear axel kit that come with new perches.for my application"classic performance parts".I had a problem with there ubolts and nuts,they did'nt fit right.So i had a local spring shop make my ubolts and got the thick nuts,instead of the puinny nuts cpp offered me.I did get reimbursed for the u-bolts"that's a whole other story".

This kit allowed my axel to be center of the rear fenders instead of being forward like original"for my application".You can easily cut your perches off with a thin grinding wheel in a die grinder.I tacked mine after setting the pinion angle.Then i had a friend that is a ace welder,weld them.As a matter of fact,i still owe him a thirty pack of BL.I better get it to him while i'm thinking about it.Take the time and measure and remeasure.Make sure you have it centered on the springs and straight.I used one of those magnetic angle finders.Any hardware store or harbor freight,cummins tool will have them.

When you measure for the drive shaft,you must have the weight of the vehicle on the rear springs.I set jack stands under my rear axel and let the truck down on them.You must also have the transmission in for the driveshaft measurments.

No,you don't have to take the whole rearend apart.Just cut the old perches off,then prepare for the new ones.

Here are a couple of links that i read before tackling mine.I also read every article on this site related to it.It's all great information,read it then reread it.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/91758/

http://www.streetissuecustoms.com/pinionangle.html

Hope this helps,good luck !!!


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0