| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,619 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 56 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 56 | Hey all. Hope everyone is staying happy and healthy during these crazy times. Found that besides the nuttiness of working from home, I have some extra time to look at some long standing projects my truck has been begging to have finished up.
So my 52 3100 came with a pre 48 manifold installed. The heat riser valve froze (i have since freed it up) and I was having some major intake issues. It was running really poorly. I found the correct NOS Intake and Exhaust manifolds for my truck last year and have them installed, but as most of you know (I did not) the manifold outlet on the pre 48 was straight out, where the 48+ exhaust comes out at a 30 or 40d angle.
I want to have the local shop bend me a up a replacement head pipe that I can then install into the rest of the system. I looked at buying one online but with currency exchange and shipping its crazy to order one into Canada. The shipping charges are more than the part... I talked to the local exhaust shop, but to have them bend it they need the specs/measurements on the original. I am hoping one of the amazing folks here have these specs filed away somewhere. I could drive it there with just the Manifold on, but worried that with no back pressure I could cause some damage? Open to thoughts on this, as it would be whole lot easier... but not wanting to chance causing a bigger bill somewhere else...
Thanks in advance for the input!
Matties | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,198 Insomniac | | Insomniac Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,198 |
Gord 🇨🇦 ---- 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed | | | | | Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 56 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 56 | That helps a bunch! I figured one of the amazing folks here would be able to help. Now to see if my local pipe shop will bend it up for me. Let you know how it works. Thanks a ton ( or a 1/2 ton in my case )  Matties | | | | | Joined: Jan 2017 Posts: 124 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2017 Posts: 124 | Sweet, I worked in a Midas shop back in the 70's. I can't tell you how many pipes I bent up from cards like that as well as doing custom work on a lot of different cars. Gord where did you come by those cards if you don't mind me asking?
38 Chevy 1/2 ton being resto-moded 65 AC Cobra replica USAF vet
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,198 Insomniac | | Insomniac Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,198 | I just provided a link to Tim Lederman's website. the diagrams above were found in a thread on Stovebolt.com the diagrams were posted or provided in email by Uncle Brad Tim is a moderator on this forum. (tclederman)
Gord 🇨🇦 ---- 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed | | | | | Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 56 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 56 | Called around to the local muffler shops, none have a setup to do spec bends like this, but the guys at the Budget Brake & Muffler shop directed me to one just up the highway with the proper bender. $80 later I should be able to start the truck up again finally. Been sitting since last spring when I installed the new manifolds. I'm pretty tickled right now. Cant wait to pick it up Monday and install. Thanks again Gord for passing on the info, and Tim for having it online. | | |
| |
| |