The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (tclederman, DadsFirstPickup, 59 fleet, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1355906 04/18/2020 7:28 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Hi,

I’m looking for pictures and/or parts for 1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton PU.

Clutch linkage Including the fork

Carb links to the gas peddle

Starter linkage.

My engine came in a basket... LEGO time....

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by Rabaut; 04/22/2020 3:53 AM.

1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
These might be a little helpful? (but, they are not shown as adjustable/tuneable assembles on a truck/vehicle):

- clutch assembly
- clutch pedal
- starter linkage
- carburetor adjustment (not very useful illustration)

I think you will need (hope for) photos by owners?

Rabaut #1355953 04/18/2020 11:53 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
I think your right about help from owners.
The clutch peddle might be right
It’s hard to tell about the others though....

Thanks,
Appreciate the help....

Mike

Last edited by Rabaut; 04/22/2020 3:53 AM.

1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Rabaut #1356131 04/19/2020 10:26 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
This is my '40 , it's right hand drive , just pretend the pic is a mirror image . smile
Attachments
DSCF3162.JPG (237.32 KB, 227 downloads)
DSCF3159.JPG (291.02 KB, 227 downloads)

Rabaut #1356138 04/19/2020 10:51 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
So, I need a bent fork with a hole for a spring....

The search starts.....

By the New Zealand is a GREAT place..... spent some time there a while back....

Thanks,

Mike
Attachments


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Rabaut #1356141 04/19/2020 11:01 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
I was there in '73-'74, on the way to the 'ice' , Model 'A' Fords, etc.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Rabaut #1356157 04/20/2020 12:57 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
Yes , I remember Ed, you guys bringing mustangs and monte carlo in and taking our model A's away . smile smile

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
I was perfectly apply with 'A's, no need to have them.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Dusty #1356209 04/20/2020 12:00 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
What was the linkage between the peddle hook and the fork?
How does the spring hook up?

Thanks,

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Rabaut #1356212 04/20/2020 12:44 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
these clutch photos are my 46. They may help with your 40.
Harold
Attachments
Clutch Linkage & Spring.jpg (96.75 KB, 154 downloads)
Clutch Linkage 1.jpg (110.98 KB, 154 downloads)
Clutch Pedal Pull Back Spring 1.JPG (257.57 KB, 162 downloads)
Clutch Spring (2).jpg (34.66 KB, 172 downloads)
Clutch Fork.jpg (85.86 KB, 162 downloads)

Last edited by Harold46; 04/20/2020 12:44 PM.

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Rabaut #1356213 04/20/2020 12:48 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
these carb links photos are my 46. They may help with your 40.
Harold
Attachments
Carb Linkage 1.JPG (25.5 KB, 183 downloads)
carb linkage.jpg (66.42 KB, 189 downloads)
Carb Linkage to pedal 42-47 (3).JPG (81.87 KB, 194 downloads)
W-1 Linkage.JPG (84.31 KB, 193 downloads)
Carburetor Linkage (2).jpg (109.9 KB, 186 downloads)


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Rabaut #1356214 04/20/2020 12:54 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
these starter photos are my 46. They may help with your 40.
Harold
Attachments
Starter Linkage.JPG (39.3 KB, 195 downloads)
Starter Pedal Return Spring & Clip.jpg (30.02 KB, 198 downloads)
Starter Set Up.jpg (71.39 KB, 198 downloads)
Foot Starter Mechanism.jpg (69.72 KB, 190 downloads)
Starter Ground Strap.jpg (66.94 KB, 181 downloads)

Last edited by Harold46; 04/20/2020 12:55 PM.

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Harold,


Good pictures on what I’m looking for.

I just need to find the fork and hook that connects them.

As to the starter button. The shaft in one picture is fixed while in another picture, it shows a tab that the button shaft screws into.
Any idea which one is correct for my 1940 Chevy 1/2 ton?


Also, your picture of the carb shows an accelerator rod connected to the carb linkage.
Where does the other end fasten? I assume to the gas peddle but any where else?

What does this rod look like?

Again,

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by Rabaut; 04/20/2020 1:53 PM.

1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Mike
I think I have the clutch fork and hook in my spare parts collection. These were on a 1940 model engine. I will check today and send you a PM. Do need other parts yet?
46Sparky

Last edited by 46Sparky; 04/20/2020 2:02 PM.
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Thanks,

As to parts, I don’t know until I find their missing...😀

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Mike:
Sorry. The fork and hook are missing here. Do you have the clutch release fork ball and retaining spring clip?
46Sparky

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
As to the starter button. The shaft in one picture is fixed while in another picture, it shows a tab that the button shaft screws into.
Any idea which one is correct for my 1940 Chevy 1/2 ton? I would think they all screwed on. it would be difficult to make this part as 1 piece plus it has to go through the toe board.

Also, your picture of the carb shows an accelerator rod connected to the carb linkage. Correct
Where does the other end fasten? Connects to carb linkage and accelerated pedal
I assume to the gas peddle but anywhere else? No

What does this rod look like? I do not recall seeing a 40 Chevy but I found this photo of the pedal & rod on the internet. . This is claimed to fit 32-40.
Harold
Attachments

Last edited by Harold46; 04/20/2020 10:31 PM.

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Isn’t the photo with the ruler of the rod that connects the carb to the pivot linkage just below the carb?
I believe there is a rod that connects this pivot to the accelerator peddle.

Bummer on the fork and and hook.....

I do have the fork ball and spring that Holds the fork to the ball. Thanks

As to the starter linkage, I have 2. The first has a fixed shaft with the button screwing on The shaft and a second Where the shaft screws on and the button screws to the shaft.

The pictures posted show both type. The picture just showing the linkage has the fixed shaft where the one showing the bell housing shows the tab where the shaft screws into.


Thanks,

Mike
Attachments
99D8E515-50C6-468F-955B-EDCF14FBF2BA.jpeg (194.36 KB, 131 downloads)

Last edited by Rabaut; 04/20/2020 5:07 PM.

1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
I have never seen a starter pedal screw on like your 2nd option . But if you check the floor board , see how the hole lines up , it should help , notice that the welded on shaft is in the center and the bolted is a little off set to the left .

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
For what it's worth, the starter pedal on my '51 screws on to a short shaft that screws on to the tab on the crossbar just like the pic posted by Rabaut. I would assume that there was a change back in the 40's from the crossbar with the welded on shaft.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Interesting....
I have one that is the welded type in the box also.....

Decisions..... decisions.....

and I have no body on the truck to test it....

And the beat goes on.....

I need to find somebody with a complete 1940 truck...

Thanks guys....

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Rabaut #1356294 04/20/2020 10:39 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Mike,
You are correct I posted a photo of the Carb. rod. I have corrected my previous post. I know a lot of changes were made on the 42 models which carried forward through 46.
I do not recall seeing a 40 Chevy but I found this photo of the pedal & rod on the internet. This is claimed to fit 32-40.
Does this look like your pedal?
Harold
Attachments
Accelerator pedal & rod 1932-40 Chevy.jpg (257.64 KB, 136 downloads)
Accelerator pedal & rod 1932-40 Chevy.jpg (279.18 KB, 135 downloads)

Last edited by Harold46; 04/20/2020 10:40 PM.

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Rabaut #1356307 04/20/2020 11:51 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Harold,

I have no idea as to what the peddle arrangement looks.

Nothing like that was in the box of junk so it could be it....

mmmmmmm

Thanks,

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Dusty #1356309 04/20/2020 11:52 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Dusty,

Do you have any pictures of the gas peddle setup for your truck?

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Rabaut #1356313 04/21/2020 12:24 AM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
FWIW, I checked the 1929-1942 Chevrolet Master Parts Catalog and it indicates the starter pedal shaft assembly, group number 2.028, part number 598211, is the same for all models except the cab over, for 1938-1940. The 1940 engine I have has a starter assembly that looks like the one Harold posted, except it doesn’t have a threaded end for the starter pedal. However, I do not know for absolute certainty this pedal assembly came initially with this engine.

Rabaut #1356320 04/21/2020 12:57 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
I dont have a pic just now , but it will be completely different to yours with mine being RHD

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Sparky,

Harold pictures show two starter peddle shaft assemblies.
One alone in the picture showing a welded peddle stud and another one installed over the bell housing with the threaded tab to screw in the peddle stud.

Which are you referring to?

Again,

Thanks,

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Thanks for looking Rusty...

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Originally Posted by Rabaut
Sparky,

Harold pictures show two starter peddle shaft assemblies.
One alone in the picture showing a welded peddle stud and another one installed over the bell housing with the threaded tab to screw in the peddle stud.

Which are you referring to?

Again,

Thanks,

Mike

The Master Parts Catalog info I referenced earlier is for the, “one installed over the bell housing with the threaded tab....

I will add info about the “welded peddle...”, in a follow up post. That part is referred to as the Accelerator Rod, in the Master Parts Catalog.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Mike

The two photos showing a foot pedal and rod are, as I understand the 1929 - 1942 Master Parts Catalog (MPC), the Accelerator Rod, Group number 4.431. I do not know what the part number is for the parts in that photo, but they appear incorrect for a 1940 1/2 ton truck.

The MPC indicates that part number 594457 was used for half ton trucks from 1937 - 1940. I have a 1937 Chevy 1/2 ton and will get some photos for you today. The MPC also indicates the same accelerator pedal was used.

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Accelerator rod group 3.431.....
While your under your truck, see if you can take a picture of the exhaust system hangers....
that’s one of the next things on my list.....

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by Rabaut; 04/21/2020 4:12 PM.

1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
The photo referenced above is the last post made by Harold yesterday showing the rod and attached pedal. I tried to copy and repost here without success.

My ‘37 does not have the original exhaust hangers, so I can’t help with a photo, sorry.

Here are photos of the Accelerator Rod and one showing the pedal. Note on the pedal photo that the hole at top nests the ball end of the accelerator rod. The bottom of the pedal nests or hooks into a bracket on the toe board.
Attachments

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Good shots....
Thanks for the exhaust comment....
So then accelerator rod is one piece? Goes through the firewall .... through some sort of bushing... then attatches to the peddle?
It also looks a little larger at the peddle end...
It looks like it sweeps up towards the firewall then straightens to attach to the peddle?

Thanks for your trouble,

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Originally Posted by Rabaut
Good shots....
Thanks for the exhaust comment....
So then accelerator rod is one piece? Goes through the firewall .... through some sort of bushing... then attatches to the peddle?
It also looks a little larger at the peddle end...
It looks like it sweeps up towards the firewall then straightens to attach to the peddle?

Thanks for your trouble,

Mike

Don’t know if originally there was a bushing at the toe board. This one doesn’t have a bushing or mount bracket in the toe board to accompany one. Maybe someone else knows for certain. If there is one, I didn’t find reference to it in the MPC.

The accelerator rod is one piece, bent at about 90 degrees at the forward end to fit into a lever that also holds the bottom end of the throttle connecting rod coming down from the carburetor. The accelerator rod is mostly straight from the lever to about the last 4 inches on the aft end. Yes, it swells in diameter at the end and has several bends.
Attachments

Last edited by 46Sparky; 04/21/2020 7:49 PM.
Rabaut #1356491 04/21/2020 10:35 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Mike, there should be a round flexible bushing (not sure what it is called) on your floorboard that the rod goes through to the pedal.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Rabaut #1356502 04/21/2020 11:47 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
I’ll continue looking for the rod now that I know kind of what I am looking for.

I have managed to locate the correct fork thanks to the pictures, so all I need there is the connector to the clutch peddle.

Thanks

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Do you think the accelerator rod looks like this?


Mike
Attachments


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
No. The severely curved section on that one should be straight. The ends appear to be almost correct though. The ball end should be a little larger in diameter for about the last 4 inches.

It might be worth trying a call to Jim Carters Truck Parts. They sell used parts as well. Also try a post in the “parts wanted” forum elsewhere on the StoveBolt.

It seems these would be a easy find, but apparently not, it took me a while to find the correct one for my ‘46 some years ago.

Last edited by 46Sparky; 04/22/2020 1:35 PM.
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Jim Carter’s used parts section is shut down for the duration....
I’ll try the parts wanted section as suggested.

Thanks for the comment.

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Rabaut #1356661 04/22/2020 10:33 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
How about this
... I feel like a kid rummaging through his toy box....
Attachments


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0