The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1354988 04/13/2020 4:01 PM
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 38
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 38
I have a 57 3200. Ive been researching the heater parts and workings to get it freshened up. But I still have a little confusion. I know this this a deluxe heater because of the control panel, but often I see deluxe heaters referencing a valve internal of the heater box? I have the valve in my heater hose lines that go to the firewall (engine side) and the cable to control. The heater controls are not all hooked up and I was getting too much heat last summer no matter how I moved the controls. Not all the levers have anything hooked to them. So I am hoping I just need a new valve (in the hose) and some new cables. But before I start buying parts, could someone confirm that this looks correct, or do I have a miss match of parts on this truck (as in Deluxe lever control, but standard heater)? I also have the 2 knobs for the pull levers mounted below the deluxe lever control. Im assuming these should be for fresh air?

I know it should be simple to research this and find how they work, but somehow its not making sense to me.
Attachments
IMG_0943.jpg (23.05 KB, 178 downloads)
IMG_0946.jpg (39.09 KB, 182 downloads)
IMG_0941.jpg (29.54 KB, 178 downloads)


57 Chevy 3200
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 112
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Online: Content
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 112
Kiwinz
I just finished totally refurbishing a deluxe heater for my 57 3100. I would recommend you get a copy of '57 Accessories installation manual for cars and trucks'. Has a lot of very helpful information on installing & adjusting all heater components including cables.
You have a deluxe heater.
The valve you show is not original but many trucks have this style valve in lieu of an inoperative Ranco valve
Additionally, I found a tutorial by a fellow stovebolter, that was extremely helpful to me.
I will see if I can find it again & PM it to you if you, if you'd like. Please advise.
delky dave in wyo


1957, 3100, v8
2016 gmc 4wd
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 38
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 38
Thank you for the reply delky. Yes I would be very appreciative if you could pm me a link to the article. Also thanks for the clarification about the valve. I’d looked at lots of images and couldn’t make sense of how I had a mix if items. So I’ll look up the Ranko valve and see what that’s about. I’m not worrying about the original look so much as I’d like to have a functioning heater that works in winter and doesn’t throw heat out in summer. Thanks!


57 Chevy 3200
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 38
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 38
Also, where do I get a copy of the 57 accessories installation manual?


57 Chevy 3200
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 112
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Online: Content
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 112
Kiwinz
replacement of the under hood valve will go along way towards correcting your issues. I've seen these valves discussed here on stovebolt several times and considered going that way on my deluxe but wanted to go org, so went with new Ranco. I have seen valves like your underhood valve all over on amazon & ebay etc..... and they are reasonably priced & may be the best way to go in the long run.
Good luck
delky dave in wyo


1957, 3100, v8
2016 gmc 4wd
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Delky is right on with advice. The heater is very simple. You probably know all this already:
You have 4 levers. One is just an electrical switch for fan motor. Three are cable. Two of those operate "flappers" inside the sheet metal. One for choosing outside air or recirculating inside air. The other flapper distributes air to cab or defrost. The last cable operated an internal valve. It is just a water valve. More water, more heat. Less water, less heat. On your truck this internal has been abandoned/bypassed in favor of an inline, cheaper, and easier to install, valve. That valve you have could be operated by your dash knob/lever or a separate method.
Some valves have a temperature sensing feature, I think. Not necessary. Your outside valve is fine. Obviously you can observe these workings by just finding the cables and the flappers.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0