Hello All. I've decided to tackle the rusting floor on my 1950 Chevy PU. I need to remove the emergency brake as part of the process. i can't figure out how to remove the pin which connects the linkage heading toward the rear of the truck. Could someone please give me some advice. I'd rather not break something. I included a picture for clarity.
Should be a cotter pin thru the left side of the clevis pin. Looks like it may be rusted in place. Remove the cotter pin (may have to chisel it off flush), then drive the clevis pin out. That may be tight from rust as well. Maybe a good soak with PB Blaster for a while would be a good start.
[on edit] You call that rust? THIS is rust. (Actually more air than rust) Good luck with your repair.
Last edited by klhansen; 04/12/20209:26 PM.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I can tell you this about that hard to get to cotter pin. Getting mad at it, throwing tools, nor cussing loud enough for the impressionable young neighbor kids to hear clearly won't get it out. I have clearly proven that. Endeavor to persevere is where you need to start, then listen to what Kevin suggested.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Getting at the cotter pin wasn't an issue for me, because there wasn't a floor in the way.
If your floor is turned to swiss cheese in that area, just cut an access hole to get at the cotter pin. You'd be replacing that part of the floor anyway.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Thank you all very much. I feel a little better after seeing Kevin's ventilation port although this is going to be no easy task for a first-timer like myself.
I have another question please. how do i remove that cowel? I assume it's spot-welded in place and i need to sand to find the spot welds and cut those out with a spot weld cutter. Is that about right?
Yes, the whole body is held together for the most part with spot welds. A few arc or gas welds in some spots. Sanding will reveal the location of the spot welds.
If you don't have one, a Factory Assembly Manual is a near essential resource for what you're going to be doing. Link
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.