The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (78buckshot, Wheelie), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,358
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#135480 08/30/2005 6:16 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 170
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 170
I bought my '66 C10 about 4 months ago. It has a late model GM 350 crate motor. I would guess that it is no more than 4-5 years old and has less than 10K miles on it.

Does anyone know what weight oil is recommended in these new crate motors? I'm running Castrol GTX 10w-30 right now. I'm would like to run Mobile 1, 5w-30 if that would be OK. I didn't get any motor paper work with the truck, so I don't know what the factory reccomendation is.

Thanks,
Steve


See my 1940 Canadian GMC:
http://community.webshots.com/user/ndnchf
#135481 08/30/2005 7:45 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I put one in a friend's 84 C10 a couple years back, GM recommended 10w30. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
#135482 08/30/2005 11:20 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I just put one in my 70 stepside. The oil cap says 10w30 but I use 5w30 in all my good stuff. Runs great.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#135483 09/14/2005 3:42 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
I wouldn't suggest a synthetic oil until you've got at least 2500 miles on it. That is usually the manufacturer's recommendation too. Until then, 10W30 fossil oil is the best stuff to use.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0