| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,697 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 11 | hi, someone at work suggested i install a camaro/ nova subframe in my 55 2nd series 1/2 ton pu. wondering if anyone had done this? any pros/ cons? how hard is it to do? any advice will be appreciated. thanks
clark | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 144 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 144 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 144 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 144 | You know, after reading your other post on rear axle swapping, I thought I'd offer a suggestion that might satisfy all your needs.
Have you considered swapping in a 73-86 Chevy 1/2 ton frame under that task force truck? It will have IFS, front disk brakes, 5 lug wheels and a rear 12 bolt axle.
It's something in my future. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2005 Posts: 27 | Ezekiel,
I have a 55 2nd series 1/2 ton pu. Have you done the 73-86 swap? How much fabing did it take? I've been wondering about putting an IFS on my truck or buy a new frame. This sounds like something right up my alley. It's all about the money. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 144 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 144 | I haven't done the swap myself *yet*.
I know Seon has done this with a 1-ton.
According to my fuzzy memories talking with Seon, most of the work will be in making frame mounts. That's assuming that you can hold up the cab and box overtop of the donor frame while you make custom mounts.
I will have to make a tech tip on this procedure once I get around to doing it.
The key thing is that I've seen it done several times in the past and that gives me confidence.
So, if someone else can do it then so can I! :-)
Zeke | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | No Limit Engineering has a video on installing the camaro/firebird sub frame to a task force frame. It would be well worth the $35 to have someone show you how to do it correctly. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 297 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 297 | i looked at putting a 74 frame under my 54. two many "humps" in the 74 frame and it appeared to be too wide but i guess a guy with a good torch and welding skills can put about anything under one of these old trucks if he puts his mind to it.
54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam" Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 148 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 148 | i am working on doing the nova subframe on and off on my truck right now. just a lot of cutting, measuring, thinking and welding. nothing to complicated or hard though...
2003 ford lightning 1959 chevy 36
| | |
| |
| |