The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, J Lucas, dt235sd, Cosmo, jeffreyguy, Charles in CA, LAROKE), 132 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1346353 02/13/2020 2:02 PM
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Hello everyone, I just purchased this 65 and noticed I have about a 1/4” of axle play when servicing the brakes. I was just curious if this can be fixed by changing the c-clips. Didn’t want to rebuild the rear end just yet! Thanks.

RLStag #1346438 02/14/2020 2:02 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 48
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 48
The C-clips being worn would definitely be the best scenario, more likely the bearings behind the spiders or a combo of both and replacing the clips would gain you something. If the pinion doesn't have a lot of clunking then the carrier bearings are probably not too loose. When you go to put clips in it, you'll find out.

RLStag #1346439 02/14/2020 2:20 AM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Ive seen a zillon of half ton rear axles, ranging from very old to very modern with a ton of slop when pulling axle outward with the wheels off the ground. If there isn't any other obvious issue, noise, banging, whining, or excessive metal or chunks in the diff, run it. Some c-clip diffs just have this character. And you probably would of never known unless you pulled on the axle with wheels up. I also never can say ive seen any c-clips worn to replacement was necessary. But then again, ive havent seen it all. ohwell

RLStag #1346446 02/14/2020 4:09 AM
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks, the truck isn’t running so I don’t know if it clunks or whines. I need to change the seals so I’ll probably go ahead and rebuild it. I’ll let you know what I find.

RLStag #1346512 02/14/2020 6:23 PM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,497
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,497
I'm with Glenn. I've never seen many that didn't have enough slop to make me scratch my head. I can't remember ever having to replace C clips unless some ninny threw them away not knowing what they were.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
RLStag #1346673 02/16/2020 1:16 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
Stag, since the rig is new to you, might want to get it up on stands, remove the cover & have a look. Get a helper or 2 to push / pull axle shaft while you watch (can leave wheels on). Should be able to see axles move in side gears. Make sure there is no side to side movement of the ring gear / carrier.


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
RLStag #1352575 03/31/2020 1:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks for the inputs! Finally getting back to work on the truck. I’ve decided to just leave it be for now so I can get rolling down the road. Quick question though, can the front seal on the differential be changed by taking the yoke off or will that mess up the pinion gear? It has to be changed. The previous owner drove it with a worn out carrier support bearing and the underside of the bed is covered with gear lube.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0