The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, Southerntruck, Uncles51, wilbur53, Hotrod Lincoln, ronsway), 79 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34
Has anyone had any experience with Patrick's mono-leaf spring set-up? They advise they work real well, but in researching this subject I came across Eaton Spring's advise against mono-leafs. My panel's not a hauler, I'd just like a smoother ride and a wee bit of lowering, 2 inches max. My other concern is wear on the U-joint with the stock torque-tube driveline, if the truck's lowered it will be flexing differently than designed for.

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
I got front monoleaf springs from CPP on my daily 1/2ton 52 chevy for 3 years now.
I drive freeways, city and bumpy dirt roads and can only say the very best things about them.
They have even more travel than the original (worn) ones and I never bottomed out.
I never worry about them breaking sooner than any other critical part under stress.
Like Eaton springs says, if springs are properly designed there is not a problem. These seem very well designed and could handle a lot more load.
I think Patricks sells the same ones and gets them from CPP.

On the rear I kept the original multileafs but used lowering blocks from Jim Carter.


On the road every day...
1952 Truck - 235
1948 Coupe - 261
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
I thought I wanted monoleafs but first I tried removing the 2 bottom leafs out of the spring pak. I got more or less what you say you are looking for. The leafs are 1/4" thick so removing two gave me 1 1/2" drop of bumper height and a stance that I'm happy with. The ride smoothed out a whole bunch too. It only took one evening and a few washers under the u-bolts so it's worth a try. I was suprised the steering wheel changed 1/4 turn so even this minor alteration has quite an effect on steering geometry. Don't worry about the u-joint as lowering actually straightens out the drive from the tranny to the shaft.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I've read Eaton's bit about monoleaf a couple times and have decided he has an axe to grind and some of his logic is either incomplete or faulty.

You don't want any poorly designed or manufactured parts in your suspension. But I am not persuaded by his arguement that monoleafs are inherently dangerous.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
Patrick's has the multi-leaf with a couple leafs taken out. Drops the truck about two inches.
Question though. With a 2" drop does the Pitman Arm need shortening?


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0