Hi All, Newbie here. i just bought a 1950 Chevy PU. I can't get it to shift into reverse. I pulled the top cover with the shifting forks and lubed everything. I got 1-4th working but reverse is stuck. any suggestions?
I assume your truck has a Muncie SM420. It should have this shift pattern. When you are in neutral, between 1st and 2nd, you should be able to pull the gear shift toward you and feel a slight spring pressure resistance as it moves toward you
Thanks for responses, the shifter assembly is removed from the transmission so there is no issue with synchronizing the gears. I also assume this is an SM420. Movement between 1st through 4th is smooth. Yes, there is spring-loaded tension once I move to the left of Neutral.
Got it working today and reinstalled it. It was just stuck. you'll notice the spot rust on some of the guts. obviously, water got inside when the windows were not installed. Thanks again for the comments. Next, no spark. Gotta figure that one out.
Whenever one comes across a gearbox cover like yours or worse, get some walnut shells to sandblast the rust off, any remaining shells will do no damage.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.