My aluminum wheels look like they have hard water spot and oxidation. I watched a video of this being used with 0000 Fine steel wool. It brought the Shine back to the wheel. Anyone ever use this product?
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
Not sure if you have Lowe's in Indiana, probably so. What I use on aluminum on my Motorcycles is a product called "Aluma Bright", you can find it near where they sell the truck tool boxes. I think a gallon is around $27.00 on Amazon. I hope it works for you. Good luck!
1963 Chevy C-10 Fleetside 1970 C-30 Dump Truck 2025 Silverado High Country 2500 Diesel 2012 Indian Chief Vintage serial #002 motorcycle 1946 Indian Chief, 1947 Indian Chief w/sidecar,2014 Indian Chieftain, 2015 Indian Scout
Not sure if you have Lowe's in Indiana, probably so. What I use on aluminum on my Motorcycles is a product called "Aluma Bright", you can find it near where they sell the truck tool boxes. I think a gallon is around $27.00 on Amazon. I hope it works for you. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I'm stopping by the local Ace Hardware on the way home to buy a bottle of the Noxon for $6.59. I'll see if it works like the video showed.
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
Well.....Ace Hardware didn't have it in stock so I ordered a bottle. This is what my wheels looks like. Does this look like hard water spots and oxidation to you guys?
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
it looks like oxidation. I have problems with really hard water , "00" steel wool and "Bar Keepers Friend" cleanser is where I start, I finish with "Mothers and a good coat of wax.
(from one Air Force Vet to another, thanks for your service)
Last edited by TUTS 59; 03/12/202012:52 PM.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
When I had my boyd coddingtons aluminum 20’s I had good luck using .....never dull... the can looks different now so I don't know,if the formula changed. Not a fun time polishing aluminum wheels
P.S. that Mothers tool that you place on the end of a drill (I forgot the name of it but made out of a foam material) is worthless for wheels. Save your $20.00 for something else..
1963 Chevy C-10 Fleetside 1970 C-30 Dump Truck 2025 Silverado High Country 2500 Diesel 2012 Indian Chief Vintage serial #002 motorcycle 1946 Indian Chief, 1947 Indian Chief w/sidecar,2014 Indian Chieftain, 2015 Indian Scout
Here is a pic after using the Noxon Metal Polish and Mothers Aluminum polish afterwards. I like what I'm seeing. That was with minimal effort. I'll really get after it this weekend and see how it comes out but I'm very please with the results.
Last edited by olezippi; 03/17/202011:10 PM.
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
If you take the time to put a coat of wax on afterward it should last a good while. Looks a lot better, post a couple of before and after pics if you would.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
I'll get after is this weekend when I have the time. Right now I'm more concentrated on the Covid-19 virus as we have our first case here in town. The company I work for is having meeting as we speak about shutting the plant down. I work for an automotive company so whatever the big 3 are doing we'll follow suit. If they are not selling cars and trucks they won't need our product.
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
Here is a before and after I posted on another forum that I forgot about. I really didn't put a whole lot of elbow grease into this. Just a quick 1-2-3 with 0000 steel wool and the Noxon.
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
I had a chance to really clean the wheels yesterday and even though it did do away with the hard water spots and oxidation it does give a little bit of a brushed aluminum look to the wheels. My process was to clean the wheel, use 0000 steel wool and Noxon to clean The wheels (did this twice), clean the wheel with windex and wipe dry, polish the wheel with Mother's Aluminum Wheel Polish. Even though it looks a little like brushed aluminum its 10 times better than they were before. The first pic is the front and the second is the rear wheel.
Last edited by olezippi; 03/22/20209:02 PM.
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
Even though my wheels did come out better and I'm glad it got rid of the hard water spots and oxidation I'm still wanting that chrome finish look instead of the brushed aluminum look it has left. I stopped at Walmart looking for the Busch brand of polish as I've heard a lot about it but couldn't find any. I had heard good reports about the BlueMagic as well so I bought some to try. BlueMagic did no better than the Mothers Aluminum polish. Still on the hunt for that good chrome finish look.
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
Try some chrome polish and some wool buffing pads ( they come in all shapes and sizes)and high speed drill. They will shine again. You are very close just need the speed of the drill and buffs to bring out the true shine.
Go by your nearest Semi Truck Detail Shop and watch how they do it. There are also tons of YouTube videos on the process. Pretty labor intensive.ðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
The higher the speed the better the shine will be. I use my die grinder with wool buffs .I have turned aluminum from ugly into a shine that looks like chrome. A lot of work but looks great. A little polish will go a long way,
Yeah I figured by hand wasn't quite getting the job done as I would like so I bought the Mothers Power Cone. We'll see how well it works today.
I wasted twelve bucks on one of those. I found it to be of little use to me. I hope your results are better.
1963 Chevy C-10 Fleetside 1970 C-30 Dump Truck 2025 Silverado High Country 2500 Diesel 2012 Indian Chief Vintage serial #002 motorcycle 1946 Indian Chief, 1947 Indian Chief w/sidecar,2014 Indian Chieftain, 2015 Indian Scout
I have not used that particular product, but I use many of their products on my motorcycles. I have had positive results over a number of years. I use their "Bikewash" exclusively on my Indian Chiefs.
1963 Chevy C-10 Fleetside 1970 C-30 Dump Truck 2025 Silverado High Country 2500 Diesel 2012 Indian Chief Vintage serial #002 motorcycle 1946 Indian Chief, 1947 Indian Chief w/sidecar,2014 Indian Chieftain, 2015 Indian Scout
Here are my thoughts about the Mothers Powe Cone and all the Metal polishes I've tried. I have tried Meguiar's Metal polish, Bluemagic metal polish cream, Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, Turtle Wax polish, and Noxon metal polish I've used enough to know that one is no better than the other. Noxon metal polish was the only one that would remove the hard water spots and the oxidation but I did not try any of the others with the 0000 steel wool. All the others worked about the same and would not bring the shine back to my wheels that I was expecting. As far as the Mothers Power Cone, it did make the job faster and it got in some of the spots my fat fingers would not so I've fairly pleased with it.
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
Ok....I took the wheels off this morning and cleaned the back side and front again with steel wool and Noxon Metal Polish then I used Mothers Power Cone and hit it with blueMagic Metal Polish cream. I think I'm satisfied with the outcome. Before this venture the passengers side wheels looked like someone dumped acid on the wheels. They were spotty and dull looking. Now all 4 wheels shine the same. I am a happy camper.
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
I'm happy you had a positive experience with the Mother's
1963 Chevy C-10 Fleetside 1970 C-30 Dump Truck 2025 Silverado High Country 2500 Diesel 2012 Indian Chief Vintage serial #002 motorcycle 1946 Indian Chief, 1947 Indian Chief w/sidecar,2014 Indian Chieftain, 2015 Indian Scout