The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, TUTS 59, dt235sd, 1 invisible), 146 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering, what tpye of torque wrench/breaker bar do you use to torque the bolts directly between the intake to head? (the center ones next to the carb)
Also what's the best wy without breaking these bolts off in the head when backing htem out?
TIA,
David


My truck don't leak oil, it just marks its teritory.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
You can't get a torque wrench on those bolts. I do them by feel. Easiest thing is to practice on one of the bolts that is accessible, torque it down to the value needed for the interior bolt, the grab your end wrench and turn the bolt slightly. It might take a few times, but you can get pretty close that way.

If the manifold bolts are stubborn, soak them overnight with a good penetrating oil, I recommend Kroil or PB Blaster. Then warm the engine up and put on some gloves to remove the bolts.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 85
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 85
Aloha! I use a snap-on "torque extension/adaptor", p/nFRDH181, it's 2-3/4" long, 3/8 drive on 1 end and 9/16 box wrench on the other, theres a formula to follow to make up for the longer length to apply to the setting on the torque wrench, it's complicated, and after i sat down and figured it out it only came out to few lbs below the normal setting so i don't bother doing it anymore, but if I install the extension/adaptor at a 90 degree angle to the wrench the wrench setting remains the same. Now I only use it because I happen to have it, otherwise I'd do like the above posting mentions. As for bolts I use some high heat anti-sieze on the bolt threads. Aloha and good luck, Mahalo

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 85
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 85
I forgot to mention, on removal of the bolts, like Fred T say's but if it isn't running use a heat wrench (torch) by warming up head area, not the bolt head, the head area surrounding the bolt, then remove.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0