| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,091 Posts1,056,449 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#13488 02/15/2004 8:22 AM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 167 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 167 | Hi Everyone, I was wondering, what tpye of torque wrench/breaker bar do you use to torque the bolts directly between the intake to head? (the center ones next to the carb) Also what's the best wy without breaking these bolts off in the head when backing htem out? TIA, David
My truck don't leak oil, it just marks its teritory.
| | |
#13489 02/16/2004 5:27 PM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | You can't get a torque wrench on those bolts. I do them by feel. Easiest thing is to practice on one of the bolts that is accessible, torque it down to the value needed for the interior bolt, the grab your end wrench and turn the bolt slightly. It might take a few times, but you can get pretty close that way.
If the manifold bolts are stubborn, soak them overnight with a good penetrating oil, I recommend Kroil or PB Blaster. Then warm the engine up and put on some gloves to remove the bolts.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
#13490 02/16/2004 6:54 PM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 | Aloha! I use a snap-on "torque extension/adaptor", p/nFRDH181, it's 2-3/4" long, 3/8 drive on 1 end and 9/16 box wrench on the other, theres a formula to follow to make up for the longer length to apply to the setting on the torque wrench, it's complicated, and after i sat down and figured it out it only came out to few lbs below the normal setting so i don't bother doing it anymore, but if I install the extension/adaptor at a 90 degree angle to the wrench the wrench setting remains the same. Now I only use it because I happen to have it, otherwise I'd do like the above posting mentions. As for bolts I use some high heat anti-sieze on the bolt threads. Aloha and good luck, Mahalo | | |
#13491 02/16/2004 7:23 PM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 85 | I forgot to mention, on removal of the bolts, like Fred T say's but if it isn't running use a heat wrench (torch) by warming up head area, not the bolt head, the head area surrounding the bolt, then remove. | | |
| |
| |