The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 73 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,474
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
Hi - So I just installed the front disk brake kit from LMC on my 48 `1/2 ton. The kit is from CPP and states it should work on 15" and up wheels.

I have original 16" steel wheels. I am waiting to order some radials...and while waiting, I took one of the wheels to see how it fit over the disk brakes.

I know, I know .... I should have checked for clearance issues before mounting. Being 16" I thought I was good.
Also...Yes, I'm measuring the wheel properly as 16".

Looks like I would need a good part of the corner of the calipers ground down to clear. Or, maybe wheel spacers??

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
Steve



1948 1/2 Ton 6-volt 216
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
Oh no....I just back to the add and read the below.

"Requires use of 15-inch or larger diameter wheels originally designed for use with disc brakes."

"Originally designed?"


1948 1/2 Ton 6-volt 216
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
Wheels originally designed for disc brakes are built differently than our vintage truck wheels. If you look at the back side of your wheel, you'll see it steps down in diameter twice from the bead to where the center section welds to the rim. That second step will be smaller (larger diameter) or non-existent on a disc brake wheel. I was able to put disc brakes on my '46 with the original 16" wheels with the use of spacers and a little grinding of the caliper, about 1/16" off the crown. My kit was from a different vendor but the one shown online for yours looks very similar.

Steve


Steve


1946 1/2 ton
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
yep, it looks like if I upgrade the spacer in the kit to about a 7/16" along with a little haircut to the caliper, I'll be close...I hope smile


1948 1/2 Ton 6-volt 216
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
When I stepped down from a 17" rear wheel to a 16" on my Ram 1500, I also had to space the wheel out 3/4" and install longer studs. Even with some pretty vigorous grinding on the caliper, a 1/2" spacer just wasn't enough. I was compensating for a torque converter clutch that just refused to stay engaged unless I was running 75 MPH or so. Every time I'd tip in on the throttle, the converter clutch would disengage.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
Plan B might be replace the stock rims with modern safety bead rims 16” when you replace the tires.

That would solve the clearance problem and tire retention on the rim if pressure is lost.

Attachments
F24E6D88-7C88-4889-8BE1-D251A1B4D059.png (650.78 KB, 85 downloads)

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
I think I would have gone the plan B route if I didn't already take the original wheels to a shop to have the flat spots trued up. Keeping everything as original on the truck as I can with exception of the front brakes and master cylinder...Going to go with radial ply look-a-likes with tubes...

Today I got the air grinder out and quickly took some of the caliper corner back. I then took the other wheel's spacer off, and doubled it on the one I'm testing, and it looks like I'll be good.

So in short, if I use 1/2" worth of spacing on each wheel, along with some reduction on the proud corners of the calipers, it looks like I should end up with enough stud thread to work with. Off to NAPA tomorrow....thanks


1948 1/2 Ton 6-volt 216
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,420
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,420
Just make sure that your wheel studs are long enough to work with the spacers.


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0