The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, CharlieF), 102 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,294
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 31
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 31
Couple months back I put a post out there a[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/15019/filename/Freds W.JPG[/img]bout a project truck that I have 1951 6500 “Fred”.

2-Ton, 5-Window, 16’-0” Grain bed, 52,000 mi, 235 w/Rochester carb, 4 speed for., 2-speed rear axle, 8.5-20, 10-lug 7.5 Pattern Dually, spit rims (4.5" Center Hole)

The post was in-regards to the OEM Wheels

I appreciated all the feedback that I received from the group.

3B and others helped confirm that I have the dreaded Firestone RH-5* “Widow maker” (See Pic)

I came across some 20” - “Dayton Wheels” for sale off of a chevy farm truck (See Pic).

Are these a good replacement wheel if I am trying to maintain "Fred's" original configuration?

Is anyone running a set of these on their Truck, or used them in the past?

Will these fit on the set up I have without modification to hubs, breaks, etc?


All comments welcomed.

Attachments
Freds W.JPG (50.66 KB, 88 downloads)
TiresJPG.JPG (49.85 KB, 79 downloads)

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 330
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 330
The Dayton wheels are the hubs. The brake drums bolt to the spokes so at a minimum you will need everything from the drums out.

I don't know anything about the fit of the brakes or bearings. The axle shafts are another question, hopefully someone here can shed some more light.


Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Clarence49, the short answer to your question is no you cannot use those wheels to replace your "widowmakers". Dayton rims use the spokes of the "wheel" to locate and center the rim, in order to use those you would need to swap the wheel/hub onto your axle tube, I doubt that would be possible because of bearing size mismatch and other considerations. Have you posted an ad in the parts wanted forum looking for non widowmaker wheels for your truck, one caution there were two different center hole sizes and if you cannot find the correct center hole size then you could have spacers made at a machine shop to take up the difference, hope that helps.

Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 31
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 31
Sweepleader & 3B

Thank you for the feedback.

Like so many others I am trying to do this build from the cheap seats.

Wheels in question are from 1975 C65.

Seller says 1975 qty. 8- 20" wheels complete with 2 axles 200.00

Cheap doesn't always equal the right thing.

Any additional thoughts


Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
The cheapest way out will be to look for wheels that have your lug pattern and center hole size, anything other than that and you will be jumping down the rabbit hole into the unknown.

There are 20" 2-piece lock ring wheels out there that are 10-lug with the 4.75" center hole (still legal and safe to run), but you'll need to search for them in old barns or private junk yards. Advertising here is a good start!

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 31
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 31
Mike B,
Thank you for your knowledge and encouragement.

This adventure has some slippery slopes.

I will post a want ad in the “Swap Meet Forum” and start searching locally for the 20” 2-piece lock ring wheels with 10-lug 4.74 center hole.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0