Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,338 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#13438 12/28/2002 8:42 PM | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 46 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 46 | OK...so I pick up this '56 3600 with what appears to be a Pontiac 347 V8 (thanks Luke). It runs but a little rough and is very cold blooded. I thought I'd start by checking the spark plugs. WT*?? They don't have a traditional electrode and are imprinted with "Leonards Oil Firing" on the insulator. What's up with that? Do they cross to a more modern plug? | | |
#13439 12/28/2002 8:59 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 | The "fires in oil plugs" were used in worn oil burning engines that would foul normal plugs.Must be a reason for those plugs, huh? Perhaps the previous engine tuner installed those plugs because they were within arm's reach.At any rate just cross over to normal Pontiac 347 plugs, J-11 for Champion. | | |
#13440 12/28/2002 9:52 PM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | Champion!!!!  those are for lawnmowers!!! :p
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | |
#13441 12/29/2002 12:33 AM | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 46 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 46 | Thanks Tony. Let's hope they are in there because they were within arm's reach. | | |
#13442 12/29/2002 3:40 AM | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 46 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 46 | Well, according to NAPA, Autolite 86 is the plug for the 347. I was able to replace the right side before it started to snow tonight. When I pulled the "oil firing" plugs, they just looked sooty, not oily. | | |
#13443 12/29/2002 4:57 AM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 | Autolites! Those are for FQrds | | |
#13444 12/29/2002 4:53 PM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Originally posted by k10: Autolites! Those are for FQrds That was ages ago. Autolite/Motorcraft split and Autolite is now part of the Honneywell group with Prestone and Fram, the makers of junk oil filters. I can't recall the exact date, but I think the split was in the 70's. Autolite did make the best plugs on the market when they were owned by Fored, but not anymore. Myself, I've been buying AC/Delco and have had no problems. I had a 74 pickup with the 250 that was a plug killer, they wouldn't burn up or foul, but the ceramic would break down and cross-fire internally. Champions would last 3,000 miles, AC about 5,000 but Autolites would go for 7,000 to 8,000 miles.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
#13445 12/30/2002 7:44 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 | So Fred, who's oil filters do you like? I have used Frams for years and have heard good/bad about them. Some swear by them, and some swear at them. | | |
#13446 12/30/2002 3:26 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 59 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 59 | Check here for some good info on oil filters. After reading this I'll not be using Fram anytime soon. I'm currently using AC/Delco with no problems. 72 Sierra Grande - Maych Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
| | |
| |