Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,375 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | Maybe you have seen this article on truckworld.com. I stumbled across this while on another site. Interesting reading if you want to build-up a tough 292. This is part 3 of 3. Any 292 fans out there? :p
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | Frank50, I tried your link and got page not found. Tried to find the article in the "Howw To" section with out any luck.
Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 510 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 510 | Could you try that url again? I searched the site for all sorts of things and couldn't find this article.
Just for the heck of it, are you a subscriber to this deal with a password? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | That link works! I took a quick look and may have solved the problem with my build. It mentions Federal Mogul domed pistons. Thanks
Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 510 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 510 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | I read all the parts tonight, interesting end results. I was hoping to find t find a part number for those domed pistons. I want 10.5 compression. Called Federal Mogul the techie was no help. Anybody got a part number for Federal Mogul LPG pistons?
Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 76 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 76 | The propane pistons should give you around 9 to 1 which is a nice combo for the street and they are a standard rebuild type part. I can't imagine a "domed" piston in a 292. I have flat top Ross pistons in mine and it has just about 11 to 1. If you are going to that kind of compression you will want to add some cam or your cranking pressures will be way high and hard to start. It's a vicious circle. When you add cam the motor really wants to rev and then you have to be careful. An aftermarket harmonic damper is a VERY good investment and the use of ARP bolts to hold the flywheel or flex plate with plenty of Loctite is pretty much a must. You'll also want to shot peen the rods and use ARP bolts there as well. My 292 is in a full street '56 Chevy with a 4 speed and will run high 13's in the quarter at just under 100mph. It's fun to surprise the big V8 guys! | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 2 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2006 Posts: 2 | I'm running a 292 bored 40 over with the above mentioned pistons, 4 BBL, ported, polished, and boss removed head, header, etc. in my lowered '40 chevy p/u.. It's making roughly 275 horse and runs excellent once I've gotten all the fresh engine bugs out of it.. Ran good enough at a cruise in that it impressed a couple of guys running 440 mopars...
'40 1/2 ton streetrod, '40 1 1/2 ton, '63 1 ton, 49 studebaker 1 ton pu
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 53 Member | | Member Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 53 | I enjoyed reading the article on the 292. I also slipped in a rebuilt 292 bored 30 over in my 69 C-10. The engine is mainly stock, it has TRW pistons Clevite 77 bearings. I also run a Pertronix II ignition, it starts up fast! I just wanted to be different, seems like everybody does the 350 swap. I am totally satisfied with my 292. I do alot of towing and the torque the 292 gives me is plenty to go up the grapevine. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 145 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2005 Posts: 145 | I have a GMC I-6 powered dragster article from a 1959 HotRod magazine if anyone is interested. email me compmikey (at) aol (dot) com My lame spam protector. mv | | |
| |