I’m rebuilding my rear end in a 59 Apache 31 and am trying to figure out what size ring I have. The numbers on the ring are 3087702 GM 10-39 3 59 2. No clue how to decipher! Lol
There are 4-5 different gear ratio available in the Saginaw 4-speeds...they are all direct drive transmission with 1:1 high gear, the same as the 3-speed you're probably replacing. The difference is in the lower gear ratios. The input shaft will have rings/grooves machined around the shaft that tell what gears are inside. Post the number of rings/grooves and we will have a better idea if that's a good choice or not.
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
Almost all 3 and 4 speed trans. are direct in high gear, OD trans. are specified as OD. Cruising 'nice' on the highway had a lot of connotations, specify.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
I ran that size tires on my 59 Suburban, with 3.40 gears in the rear end (79 Blazer rear axle) with an SM465 trans an loved it. I could cruise along at 90 if I wanted to and it pulled whatever I put behind it (broulght my bog bolts home, weighed in at 17,340 with the 59 behind it). That said, depending on how you are using it, and with the 235 , your 3.90 gears should be great!
sorry its been awhile. you are correct Mike B. I'm changing out the 3 speed for a 4 speed. the trans in it has a 2.85 first gear. I'm thinking a taller first gear in a 4 speed would be better? I would like to drive down the highway without overdoing it RPM wise- 2200 to 2500 RPMS. thanks
According to the 1959 truck resto pack your truck rear end had a Regular Production Option RPO 3.70 and 3.38 You could find a 3.38 ring & pinion 3rd member and install in the axle housing and you could drive at 70-80 mph all day long. The Resto pack does not seem to show the RPO number for the 3.38 RPO, Teeth 13-44