34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Looks mainly decorative to me. With just the three connections behind the bumper, it isn't going to absorb much of an impact above the bumper and would probably bend back and mess up the fenders and grille. It is interesting though.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I see that Brad's photo has a brace going back to the splash apron. Maybe there was a bracket underneath there to support it rather than just bolting to the thin sheet metal apron. That would at least help maintain it in a vertical position.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I agree with Kevin. Nicely done home built. Decoration only.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Fresh out of the barn when I bought the Hiate 46. The brush guard is circa 1946 and still on the truck. May try to get it back to KC next September.
Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Is there any documentation/literature available on the guard that I originally posted? When was the guard made? Who made it? What trucks did it fit? Does any member have a photo or two of one installed on their truck? What was the finish--black/chrome?
2 Ton, that Brush Guard reminds me of something on a Military Truck, I love it.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
The only thing I could find that has the Chevy bowtie emblem & the "C" on it is from a old dealer AD truck mailer that had one pictured on a truck. Since I am unable to locate any RPO or accessory numbers for it.... I say that it was aftermarket.
The closest I could find to a documented GM accessory is GM part # 986957 which is pictured on the " All Star Accessories " display for 1954 & it is also covered in the 1954 accessory installation manual.
Here's a similar guard, though without the headlight rings and "C". I have the full size pic somewhere, but this zoomed in version will have to do for now.
Well, I just found and bought this one which is slightly different yet and I am like all of you - wanting to know who made it and what year its for. Very like Mother Truckers' image of the one on the 2 ton AD truck, but with the bowtie higher giving me the idea this one is for light duty trucks with less height to the front end. See what you all think and let me know if you can find a picture of one exactly the same as mine mounted to something.....appreciate it - Steve