So my 1940 1.5 ton has nothing dealing out noise and cold on any of the pedals or transmission shifter. I can see daylight around the clutch, brake, accelerator, stomp start pedal and the trans shifter and a the steering column.
The "seals" around the pedal shafts on my 49 3100 are just thick felt pieces. That said Chevs of the 40s #3657153 and The Filling Station #AF-173 both show this the pad. Looks like it would be very easy to fabricate. Wife says virtually any fabric store would have what you need. You may have to layer it to the desired thickness. Stomp starter has a bellows on my truck, Filling Station #DS-426
Last edited by Forty9; 12/17/20199:26 PM. Reason: More info
Originally the seals were horsehair mixed with jute and a bonding compound, pressed into a rather stiff 3/8 inch sheet, punch cut and sold by parts stores, JC Whitney, Western Auto, etc. A lighter weight version of this was used as sound deadener under carpet. A lot of people added a stiff leather circle cut so it could float when the pedal went in and out...because the jute/horsehair pads would become egg-shaped due to the arc motion of the clutch and brake pedals and this caused them not to seal anymore. Actually I just replaced these seals and leather pieces on mine. I had saved the horsehair/jute pads from over 40 years ago and wish I had bought dozens of them because they were about 20 cents each then. I have no idea who still has the original material. I'll attach an image, but I don't know if you'll be able to see it very well. Felt today is mostly synthetic and not heavy enough for this. If I were to make these pads, I'd look for some jute (or burlap) and horsehair and try to replicate the original stuff using some kind of flexible bonding agent. It wouldn't be easy.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
This is what the lighter weight jute/horsehair looked like. Some of it was also mixed with cotton rags and rag scraps bought from towel makers, etc.
It occurred to me a good alternative for this in today's market would be sisal. You can still get that stuff...it is cheap and it is much more durable than jute.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end