I'm getting ready to undercoat my '59 suburban and noticed that the floor is 3/4" plywood in relatively good shape.
Does anyone have recommendations for sealing up the plywood to prevent swelling & degradation from moisture?
There are a few oily areas on the plywood above the U joints & transfer case, and I'm thinking about using minwax polyurethane since that might stick better to oil soaked wood? For all the frame and metal areas I'm planning to use SPI epoxy primer. Not sure if it makes more sense to apply one before the other?
To clean things I'm planning to first pressure wash, and then spend a couple days with wire brushes.
I would paint the frame first, then I'd brush the plywood with motor oil. That part has already begun by the transfer case. Might as well finish the job.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Linseed oil rather than motor oil is probably a better choice for the wood. That may even be what was originally used.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Thanks for the tips guys! Will definitely wear my respirator and run the fan. The wood boat guys seem to like this stuff called clear penetrating epoxy (CPES)