The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 147 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1335483 11/27/2019 8:08 PM
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 182
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 182
A little help please. I am trying to finish my restoration and I'm down to the brakes before I can go for a test drive. For the last several days I have been trying to get the brakes to work. I have bled the four wheel cylinders at least 6 times all around. I don't believe there is any air in the line but I still have a soft pedal. If I pump the pedal 6-10 times the pedal firms up a bit but 10 minutes later........no pedal pressure and I have to pump the pedal again. Should I recheck the brake shoe clearance and recheck the pedal to floorboard clearance on the backside? Any thoughts from anyone on what is my problem?

Jhyp #1335487 11/27/2019 8:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Have you adjusted the shoes out enough so they are almost touching? If not, several pumps will be required just to get them out to the drum

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Jhyp #1335507 11/27/2019 10:13 PM
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Did you Bleed the Master Cylinder?


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Jhyp #1335510 11/27/2019 10:19 PM
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
I don"t care I"ll bring it up. How do you Bleed the Master cylinder? I owned about 30 cars from all over the world. Never have I needed to Bleed the Master Cylinder. So How is it done.


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Jhyp #1335514 11/27/2019 10:55 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
My new MC came with a plastic plug that I screwed into the outlet port. I supported the MC in a vice. Filled the MC with fluid and slowly pumped the rod while looking inside the reservoir looking for the air bubbles to stop. Takes 10 or more pumps to eliminate the air.

I’ve also seen a kit that contains a nipple and a tube (or two for dual MC) that screws into the outlet, then you place the tube into the reservoir filled with fluid and pump until there is no more air bubbles in the tube.

It’s important to keep the MC full while you bleeding it.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Jhyp #1335526 11/27/2019 11:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
I'm sure there are lots of youtube video on how most MC's are bled, while on a shop bench. That's how I've done mine before.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Jhyp #1335538 11/28/2019 12:35 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Assuming that you have Huck brakes, I will ask a stupid question. Take no offense please.
Are you adjusting both stars on each wheel?
One thing that I have found beneficial for bleeding Huck brakes after major changes (new shoes, turned or new drums), is to adjust one star until you can barely turn the wheel, then back it off until you can just turn the wheel with some drag. Do this with all eight stars. This will take all of the mechanical slop out of the shoes, allowing them to solidly contact the drums without excessive pedal travel..
Now double check the master cylinder push rod adjustment as per The Manual.
After this, bleed the brakes.
Once you have a high, firm pedal, adjust the brakes as per The Manual. There will be no brake drag after this adjustment.
If none of this works, you need a new master cylinder even if the one you currently have is new, All too often, we find bad new master cylinders for every vehicle made these days.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Jhyp #1335599 11/28/2019 1:50 PM
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 182
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 182
Thanks everyone for your help.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0