The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, TexasA&M48Truck), 144 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
My 36 tall cab pckup quits running after it warms up. I have traced the problem to the wire from the ignition switch to the coil. How does one replace the wire in the steel flex that runs from the switch to the coil?
Thanks,
Charlie


Charlie
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
Charlie, I don't know if that wire is replaceable by itself. Replacing the wire probably can be worked out, but I think the original remedy was to replace the complete armored cable assembly. And I don't know if the bracket on the coil can be removed from the coil, or if the bracket is part of the coil "can." But first thoughts on the warm stalling is that the coil itself is suspect. Coils tend to fail with heat. For the purpose of testing, see if you can rig up a different coil in place of the existing one. The coil end of the armored cable detaches from the top of the coil, so you should be able to remove the existing coil and mount a later model coil in its place, then run a jumper wire to the "new" coil and see what happens. If the stalling problem is eliminated, the coil is the suspect, but I don't know if you will ever find an original replacement. Some of the vintage parts outlets might have the proper replacement. At risk of backlash, you can use a 12V coil if it doesn't have an internal ballast resistor. 12V coils with an internal resistor will be marked as such, usually stamped in the coil case. The main difference between 6V and 12V ignition coils is the turns ratio; primary to secondary turns of wire. I think the 6V coils have a higher turns ratio, but primary resistance is close to the same for both, around 1.6 ohms. I don't have coil resistances at my finger tips, but I can probably find some if I look hard enough. Maybe others at this site can give better information on your setup. That armored cable setup on Chevrolets was not used after WWII, or maybe after 1946. Hope this helps, although maybe not much.

Dean

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The Electroloc coil assemblies for 1938 had a removable end where the armored cable enters. You have to slip a toll under the lid and release the holder. I don't think the cable assembly is made to take apart but some people manage to rebuild them.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Thanks guys. I had to take the key lock assembly apart to get the wire out. I don't think it was designed to be disassembled but I managed to do it without destroying anything. Truck seems to run fine now.


Charlie
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Good job. It’s always great when a plan works out.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0