Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Donf, 50Chevy3100),
116
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,076 Posts1,056,280 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 496 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 496 | 1950 suburban all original.
Well, I broke an axle today. Didnt even realize it could happen just driving down the road. Luckily I was taking off from a stop when it went. I got it up on Jack stands and I realized that I could just PULL THE WHEEL AND AXLE OUT BY HAND. That is pretty scary....
People tell me that new rear ends have a safer design where the axle won't just fall out if it breaks? If it's a safer design, I would like to explore adding a modern rear end.
1. I have an enclosed driveshaft and small original 3 speed transmission. Is it possible to convert to a open driveshaft that will accept a modern rear end?
2. Are modern rearends safer that old originals (ibalways assumed people swapped them out for modern gear ratios)
3. What modern rear end mates well?
Thanks!
1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 | Your easiest solution is to find a good used torque tube rear end. There are plenty of them out there as long as you find it before it gets scrapped. They are very often offered for free or for scrap price. Many of these trucks got parked or abandoned due to engine failure at relatively low mileage which means that most of the rear ends are fine.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 496 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 496 | I've got one lined up. You are right, probably the easiest.
1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 | I am glad to hear that you are staying stock. I get excited when I crawl under a pretty AD and see the torque tube still there. I have 2 ADs on the road, but neither have torque tubes. Looks like Carl needs another truck...
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2019 Posts: 162 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2019 Posts: 162 | I'm with you on the torque tube! I've had people try to convince me to swap to later drive train components, They don't get it when I say that I would rather retain the original set up instead of a V8 with automatic tranny and S 10 rear end.
I invest my money in precious metals, mostly rust!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | If anyone shakes their head (or scratches their heads) and/or laughs when you say "torque tube", tell them that a torque-tube driveshaft was/is so good that Corvettes, Porsches, Mercedes, and Jaguars used/use a torque-tube drive shaft. | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,078 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,078 | If anyone shakes their head (or scratches their heads) and/or laughs when you say "torque tube", tell them that a torque-tube driveshaft was/is so good that Corvettes, Porsches, Mercedes, and Jaguars used/use a torque-tube drive shaft. Interesting. My buddy's '63 Corvette didn't use a torque tube drive shaft. It uses trailing arms to soak up torque developed by the rear wheels. The differential is bolted directly to the chassis, and has half shafts with u-joints between the differential and the rear wheels. Lots of different ways to counter wheel torque and spring wrap-up, torque tubes being just one. Others are 4-link, ladder bars, etc.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Corvette did not use them in all/most years. Neither did Chevrolet trucks, nor did any other make that I posted above.
The link that I provided above shows "Since 1996 the Chevrolet Corvette has used a torque tube since the introduction of the C5 version in the 1997 model year." | | |
| |