The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, Shof, Jon G, Gray_Ghost), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 19
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 19
I have a 1946 1/2 ton pickup with worn axle splines. This is a 17 spline shaft with significant wear on splines and side gears. I have a 1947 1/2 ton pickup rear end for a donor but the axle shafts are 3/4” longer than the 46. Also the 1947 rear end has a longer driveshaft and different mounting method. Now my question... should I look into getting the axles shortened so I can use them or just keep looking for an exact match donor rear end?

Btw significant wear is defined by me as splines that are worn down to .075 vs .125

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I had the same problem. One of the members found a place I think in montana about a year ago that had good axels. I called and their storage building was snowed in and they said call in the spring. I never did. If you search the forum you might find that thread. I also checked around the country no one would make new axels. I found a good set near me so I did not need them.

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
'
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
' Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
1946 1/2 ton axles .

LEFT SIDE - GM # 3652341 - 28 & 3/4 " O.L . - stamped 3652341

RIGHT SIDE - GM # 3652342 - 29 & 3/4 " O.L . - stamped 3652342

TRY

Dan's GM Obsolete
Chinook , Montana
phone : 406 - 357 - 2615

At one time , Dan's had both axles GM NOS .



At one time Borth Auto Parts in Oostburg , Wisconsin had both axles GM NOS for your truck @ $75.00 each

PICS

https://i.postimg.cc/sDR73pkq/1940-46-Chevy-Comm-Axle-Shaft-No-3652342-RH-NOS-75-00-2-In-St.jpg

&

https://i.postimg.cc/wMDNhvmw/1940-46-Chevy-Comm-3-4-Ton-Axle-Shaft-No-3652341-LH-NOS-75-00.jpg




George
'54 3600

Last edited by '54 3600; 10/12/2019 9:07 AM. Reason: add

1954 3600
A big help to many on the Bolt
Now cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 10
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 10
Don't mean to hi-jack your thread but do you know where you can get front spindles for a 1946 1/2 ton. I am really having no luck. I have the driver side spindle and it is stripped right where the castle nut is positioned for proper bearing adjustment. I end up just putting two nuts on one backwards so the single cotter pin holds both in place. Not the right way to go but it works. Thus the reason looking for a new spindle.
Lee

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
'
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
' Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
Lee , What's the GM part # ?


G.


1954 3600
A big help to many on the Bolt
Now cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 10
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 10
Dont know I will have to go look... Is it on the spindle somewhere. Spindle is still on the truck so it may be hard to find.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by LuckyLee
Don't mean to hi-jack your thread but do you know where you can get front spindles for a 1946 1/2 ton. I am really having no luck. I have the driver side spindle and it is stripped right where the castle nut is positioned for proper bearing adjustment. I end up just putting two nuts on one backwards so the single cotter pin holds both in place. Not the right way to go but it works. Thus the reason looking for a new spindle.
Lee
If you don't have an luck finding one, you could get the end welded and rethreaded. That's something a machine shop could easily do on a lathe. It could also be done with a die if you can find the right size and thread pitch.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 19
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 19
I appreciate the leads on possible parts but I have struck out. I am also scraping plans to leverage the 1947 1/2 ton rear end. Everything on the 47 is longer than the 46. Axles are longer by 3/4 " and driveshaft tube is almost 3" longer. I am returning the 47 tomorrow and will look at a 46 car rear end but I am not optimistic

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 8
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 8


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0