The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,447
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
I just completed a big project. I'm documenting how to remove, disassemble, rebuild and finally reinstall a 1963 C10 manual transmission steering column. The 1964 - 1966 columns are identical except for the turn signal mechanism.
My 1963 column needed a rebuild so I thought I'd add some pages to my website.
I'm not an expert, so if you see anything that needs editing or a better explanation, please let me know.

I'm most proud of the 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Rebuild page. Nice clean parts always make for better pictures.

Here are the links to the web pages.
1963-66 C10 DIY Steering Column Page - LINK


1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Removal

1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Disassembly

1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Rebuild

1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Installation

Last edited by Lugnutz; 10/03/2022 12:54 AM.
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Nice project and page. Thanks for sharing with us Jay.

Last edited by Hambone; 10/07/2019 1:42 AM.

~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 75
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 75
Thanks for posting, looks like a lot of great information. I'll be rebuilding my '63s column as well here in the near future, and it'll be nice to have something to go by. If memory serves, there isn't much, if anything, on steering column in the factory service manual.


Cedric L. Brown
1963 Chevrolet C-10 long stepside
[url] https://photos.app.goo.gl/hE3wcWiY5FENFwfK2 [url/]
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
If your column is in decent shape then the rebuild is not difficult.
One thing to consider is to upgrade the lower end of the shaft to a safer telescoping shaft.
I highly recommend it and especially if you plan to install power steering.
This LINK shows the details of what I did on my 1965 truck. I have all the pieces to do the same with my 63 steering and hope to complete it by December.

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 75
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 75
Good to know. I'm not currently planning to install power steering, but the telescoping column sounds like a really good idea. Thanks again!


Cedric L. Brown
1963 Chevrolet C-10 long stepside
[url] https://photos.app.goo.gl/hE3wcWiY5FENFwfK2 [url/]
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by 63stepsideLB
Good to know. I'm not currently planning to install power steering, but the telescoping column sounds like a really good idea. Thanks again!
The telescoping shaft modification can be done on any shaft, factory or upgraded to PS.

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 7
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 7
Hello, would anyone know if this rebuild explanation will work on a 62 steering column or is there a big difference.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 162
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 162
Great job. I replaced the bearings on my 60 when replacing the steering box. Turn signals work but I can't get my horn to work. I installed an aftermarket "button" I have attached to the floor shifter many years ago for the horn but would like to the horn to work as intended with the original horn button. Can anyone help? The small springed button inside is new. The wire is hooked up and runs down and exits the column under the dash. I just don't what to do with that single wire. I'm brain dead when it comes to wiring. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Last edited by ole green; 09/23/2022 2:13 PM.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by ole green
Great job. I replaced the bearings on my 60 when replacing the steering box. Turn signals work but I can't get my horn to work. I installed an aftermarket "button" I have attached to the floor shifter many years ago for the horn but would like to the horn to work as intended with the original horn button. Can anyone help? The small springed button inside is new. The wire is hooked up and runs down and exits the column under the dash. I just don't what to do with that single wire. I'm brain dead when it comes to wiring. Thanks in advance.

Mark

The 1963-66 columns have a ground wire from the horn relay to the steering column horn button contact ring. When you press the steering wheel horn button you are connecting that ring to ground to complete the circuit. That trips the horn relay to supply current to the horn.
Start at the horn relay. Connect the relay to ground. The horn should sound.
Then confirm wire continuity from the relay to steering column either by grounding the column horn wire (horn will sound) or with a multimeter.
If the column horn wire sounds the horn when grounded, you must next confirm that pressing the steering wheel horn button communicates that connection to ground.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 162
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 162
Thanks I will give it a go. Hopefully my 60 is the same.

Last edited by ole green; 09/23/2022 9:58 PM.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
awesome content Lugnutz, thanks for creating and sharing.

-Woog

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Woogeroo
awesome content Lugnutz, thanks for creating and sharing.

-Woog

The 4 part steering column DIY is done. 1963-66 C10 DIY STEERING COLUMN PAGE - LINK


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0