I'm putting a small block and 200-4r in my 1951. Mount points on the 200-4r are the same as on a TH350. Who makes the best crossmember for the transmission? I would like to avoid drilling new holes in the frame if possible.
Any one use the Chassis Engineering unit? Or can the stock one be modified for this?
Your stock crossmember will most likely be in the way. It was putting the 200-4r behind my 248 in my '54 GMC. I used the CPP crossmember. You will have to drill bolt holes which ever one you use. To see the problems I ran into click "Transmission" when you get here.
"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964
I used the one from chassis enginering It bolted into the original holes with no drilling i did have to cut out the rear engine crossmember and make a couple of shims to put under the tranny mount to lift up the tailshaft where i wanted it but it was no big deal Their mounts are pretty nice Much better than the chevy duty stuff
2Many, you are absolutely correct. I figure its a good hours work to make one and about 15 minutes with the $50 tubular mount, and if you have to ask about buying a mount, you probably aren't making one
the stock crossmember will work fine.the same bolt holed tooo.Just a little cutting in the center.then use the mounting rear bracket from the 350 crossmember.just the tung part where ya bolt the tranny to crossmember
The stock cross member on a '51 sits at the aft edge of the 6-cylinder engine. You are going to have trouble convincing me that the small block is short enough for you to bolt the aft end of a 200-4R to the stock crossmember. Do you have pictures?
"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964