The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jon G, dt235sd, Wally / Montana, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1326640 09/18/2019 10:48 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 16
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 16
I need some help with my power brake system.

From the looks of it I need to replace most of the parts. I would like to upgrade to a modern master cylinder, with front and rear independent circuits.
I have searched Stovebolt and a couple other forums for a bolt in power brake system for Drum/Drum. I am sure someone out there has made this
upgrade, maybe even knows the part numbers used.

Has anyone had any luck sourcing an under cab master cylinder that works with the 6 wheel cylinder, 2 ton trucks?

Thanks in advance

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy RmJr, welcome, I have never seen a conversion kit from single system master to dual circuit master advertised for your size of truck. You have two basic choices a vacuum boosted system or a hydraulically boosted system, the hydraulically boosted system would require the installation of a power steering pump. I recommend using a dual master cylinder which has the same size bore as your original system, certainly not any smaller on the bore. You will probably have to piece together you own kit, just make sure everyone is aware these parts are for a drum/drum system. Good luck and don't be afraid to come back and ask more questions.

Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 86
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 86
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1089476/1.html

This guy has installed a dual master/booster on his 2 ton. I think it was part of a front disc brake kit put together by 'RDomeck' so the master would be a drum/disc.

I tried to get one of them to cough up part numbers with no luck. Seems as though when it comes to making money with a kit part numbers are not something that is shared !?!

Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 86
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 86

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
I seem to recall there is a late '80's Corvette drum/drum MC that could be used with any booster.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Originally Posted by EdPruss
I seem to recall there is a late '80's Corvette drum/drum MC that could be used with any booster.

Ed
Maybe for a 1/2 ton but not for a 2 ton, it would not have a big enough bore to push that much fluid.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
Noonan, If you knew the amount of time I have invested in making this kit work for these big old trucks you might understand that I am not making very much money on these kits. I have had a couple of guys run my master bracket with the modern dual circuit vacuum boosted master with success. I have not personally driven a drum brake truck with that set up, but As I understand, it works well.

On the kits, I am about a week away from having 5 kits put together for sale.



Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
Vette's have been disc/disc since '63, unless that m/c was an aftermarket special setup.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 16
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 16
Hi RDomeck,
I understand the work/time that you must have spent on this.
I PMed you earlier, I think we should talk.

Does anyone know the MC volume required to push 6 wheel cylinders?

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by 78buckshot
Vette's have been disc/disc since '63, unless that m/c was an aftermarket special setup.
'63 Vettes were drum/drum. A friend has one that he's converting to disc.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
1965 was the first year for disc brakes on a Vette...now back to trucks, the 6400 would have a 1-1/4" bore MC.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 16
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 16
Thank you MikeB


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0