The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (klhansen, fonz8261, Shaffer's1950, Eileen, Uncles51, Rusty Heaps, 50Chevy3100), 87 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,295
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1326623 09/18/2019 3:14 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 249
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 249
Brought home a 1951 4400 yesterday, rather had it brought home knowing that it had this problem as the previous owner told me it would not charge and that the battery was new. So I read in the service manual how to check the charging system which requires the use of a ammeter which I do not have - all I do have is a VOM. Should I just take the generator and take it to the rebuild place to have them test it? Not very electrically inclined I guess.
Attachments
100_4872.JPG (255.23 KB, 73 downloads)
100_4873.JPG (231.33 KB, 74 downloads)


1950 3600
1951 4400
Gazz
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
"Should I just take the generator and take it to the rebuild place to have them test it? "

Yes, but take both the voltage regulator and the starter to the "rebuild place".

When you reinstall the generator and voltage regulator, be sure to repolarize them (as described in the Shop Manual).

An off-topic, but related, observation:
the Shop Manual says that some 6v positive ground and 6v negative ground voltage regulators are different.
A recent post said they were the same.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Good advise there. One thing I would recommend you try before taking everything off is to repolarize it first. It's possible the previous owner did work on the truck that required the procedure and didn't do it. When you touch the wire, don't hold it in place for an extended period. You might "let the smoke out". All you need is one spark.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
Cool Truck!


1948 1/2 Ton 6-volt 216
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 249
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 249
I took the generator and regulator out and took them to the shop. I did notice that one brush didn't have much pressure on it and when I got to the shop, the owner confirmed that it was a busted brush spring. I left it with him for a go-over and function test. He said at least a week turn around which is sort of bumming me out - I can't drive it and it is now in the way! Guess I'll find other things to do on it while it's sitting.


1950 3600
1951 4400
Gazz
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
If you just need to move the truck a little go ahead and crank it up. It will run for a couple of minutes without causing any damage, even with the water pump not turning.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0