The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Guitplayer, TUTS 59, IHPWR), 185 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,227
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1326226 09/15/2019 2:49 PM
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
Does anyone have a source for a 6V wiper motor that clears the choke cable? The only ones I can find are 12v, sold by Jim Carter and Classic Parts. Seems a bit odd they would even make a 6V that doesn't fit around the choke, but they do.

If there isn't one, would a 6V-12V booster work for operating the 12v motor? My very basic understanding of electricity says this should work, but please correct me if I'm wrong and offer any better solutions you may have.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Ahhh, another 6 volt guy living in a 12 volt world. You can install an inverter with enough wattage to run your wipers. You can hide it anywhere and run the wires through the switch to your wipers. Other choice is to install a 12 volt battery and wire it. You will need to recharge it occasionally.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
WyoFlyer, I fought that fight a few years ago. Then it seemed the 6v wiper motors were all 12v motors (regardless of what the ads said) which gave less than stellar performance on 6v. I didn't know about the possibility of a 6 to 12 volt booster (I now run one for the 12v radio). My solution that I'm still happy with is I sent the old vacuum motor to WiperMan in New York and for a bit over a $100 I got a original motor that works fine and is true to the truck. Well the truth is it works fine within the limits of vacuum motor. If I ever get around to installing a vacuum tank I think it'd work fine with no excuses.

Good Luck,
RonR


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
I second the vote for original. I also sent my vacuum motor to the Wiperman. I payed $135 with a one week turnaround back in April and I am vary happy with the result. The motor is very strong and has no problems wiping even a dry windshield.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
I appreciate the input. I "rebuilt" the wiper motor once, but to no avail. Looks like WiperMan does a much better job, however!
I do want the consistency and reliability of the electric, so maybe I'll try that and see if we learn anything along the way. I'm too stubborn so far to convert the whole thing to 12V, though that may be best in the end.

Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
My truck is still 6 volt for a couple of reasons. In my early years 6 volt systems were the norm and I’ve owned a few 6 volt rigs before so I do know a little about them (sometimes not as much as I should however). Also I just like the fact that it’s original (along with the low power 216). That said my truck had a replacement wiring harness when I bought it with wires too small for a 6v system. The cure for being relays on the lights, blower motor and horn. At this point I don’t see any advantage to converting to 12v. I have installed 6v LED bulbs in the back for safety.

Actually there is one advantage to 12v that hasn’t been a problem yet. 12v trailer brakes. If I ever need to put a trailer I’ll have to rethink my 6v allegiance.

Last edited by moparguy; 09/18/2019 12:36 PM.

RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0