The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Rusted Nut, 55shaker, Lightholder's Dad, Gdads51), 129 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,304
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1325937 09/12/2019 9:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 158
0
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
0 Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 158
OK - Shifted gears & now back on the 67.....The unanimous preference was the Carter over the Rochester....Physically all looks good with the exception of the gas pedal linkage....No way the Carter will hook up to the linkage????
Attachments
IMG_9288.JPG (56.21 KB, 188 downloads)
IMG_9289.JPG (55.64 KB, 188 downloads)
IMG_9290.JPG (53.83 KB, 183 downloads)
IMG_9291.JPG (57.19 KB, 180 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,499
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,499
Would it connect correctly if the Carter was mounted the other way?


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 158
0
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
0 Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 158
After the fruitless attempts to get the Rochester to work properly, it was suggested that the Carter was a better carb....then someone was kind enough to send me a Carter spec list which identified the exact model carb for a 1967, 250 cu in, manual choke...which is 4375S.....I located one, and was under the impression that it would be the correct fit & replacement for the Rochester.....I'm not really inclined to modify the linkage or start making any modifications to the carb....It either fits or not....On a previous post I considered a Chinese aftermarket just to see if I could get this truck to run 'off choke' I didn't get any encouragement, that's when the topic shifted to the Carter...... So now I'm back to square 1......I'm just not getting all of these posts that are carburetor related problems....The truck starts, on choke, warms up and won't idle when the choke is pushed in, in attempt to keep it running I have to rapidly pump the gas pedal however it will spit & sputter.... Its not a vacuum issue as I checked it....all the reference is on my other post.....What could be so wrong???

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I have 1954 3100 with the original engine and 2 Rochester Bs. Yes, L know that some on here don't like the Rochester Bs and I was almost convinced to spend $1000 to replace them but I just got back from a 1250 mile trip with them and they ran flawlessly. Literally ran all day at 60-65 mph.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 158
0
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
0 Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 158
OK...Lets start with the truck itself...It is a 1967 K20...built in Oshawa....When I google production numbers, I find a hyphen for units made, (I have another post on this)...leading me to believe this is a pretty rare truck. There is also evidence the originality of this truck suggests, that it was in the possession of the original owner up until several years ago.....then it changed hands twice before I got it.....This truck is a 100% survivor with 100% original paint, even down to the original Harrison radiator. Unfortunately I was unable to obtain any history on the truck. The guy I got the truck from was vague in providing any details of who he got it from, other than it was obtained from an estate..The guy I got the truck from said he could never get it to run right and said the carburetor needed to be rebuilt. I had no intention on another truck, but the attraction was the originality and the fact it was NEVER MONKEYED WITH....I had my fill of undoing crap with vehicles that fell into the wrong hands..I was in my late teens when these trucks were new. I worked for a GM dealer that had a 68 shop truck, with a 250 3 speed and that truck never gave an ounce of trouble....I can almost bet my life it had a Rochester....I can hardly recall any Rochester issues.... I have a 72 GTO which I bought brand new with the original quadrajet that often lays for a year or two at a time, and I never had the carb off the engine. I get in, set the choke with one push to the pedal, it cranks, fires up on high idle, warms up, & I kick it down.....PERFECT .....I also know that time & age plays a factor, along with the differences between NEW & REBUILT.... and I know I'm on a rant here but, I got off track with 'Options' where my inclination is always originality ....This vintage era GM was the high water mark...So my point.....There really is no reason to to find alternatives....I know there's a tiny fragment of issue with the Rochester....My plate is full with other real life responsibilities.....For desert, I will find the time & opportunity to take apart & dissect this Rochester with no interruptions.....and am confident that it will once again it will perform as it once did...I Thank you all....

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
According to the manufacturer's information; both Rochester and Carter were used on the 250 in 1967 as original equipment.

The 4375s was used only on standard tranmission federal trucks.

Federal trucks with automatic transmission used 4376s.

There were also two different Carters for use on California only trucks.

Did Chevrolet use different linkage for Carter versus Rochester? I do not have this information.

Since the 4375s was used as original equipment on the 1967 250 with standard transmission on a federal truck, one would think that it would bolt directly on with no issues (unless Chevrolet did use different linkage).

One comment about issues with Carter and/or Rochester: Carter made some dogs, specifically the models BBR, AS, and RBS. Not all Carters are wonderful designs. Rochester made some really great carburetors, specifically Q-Jets (after 1967), and the 2G (2-barrel) and 4G (4-barrel) carbs. But as in any manufactured product, there will be some good and some bad. The are some individuals that have had no issues with the Rochester B's, and others that have had issues with the Q-Jets. But if one looks at the overall averages (and I have been doing carburetors for 60 years, so some experience) one comes to a conclusion as to the probability of success with a given model.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 158
0
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
0 Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 158
As my pics show the throttle linkage is on the opposite side pf the carburetor...lending that although the carbs may interchange, the linkages do not..... Also to be noted that I blame no one for suggestions or involvement in my posts...we all have a shared common interest and despite the successes and failures of suggestions, I feel intentions are sincere & genuine....My feelings on modifications hinge on the negative side.....A lot of research and testing goes into development, and who am I to change that.....My 70 - 292 has a Rochester and runs perfectly, so its a flaw or imported issue that I'm experiencing with my Rochester B on my 67, not a 'No good' Rochester..... I hope to figure it out........


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0