| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (KEVINSKI),
124
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,706 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 82 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2013 Posts: 82 | Probably a dumb question, but am planning on removing my hood tomorrow. I'm thinking it doesn't weight but maybe thirty pounds, but don't want to be surprised. Anyone know the weight of an AD, 3100 hood?
'52 Chevy 1/2 ton running original gear
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | I'll bet more than 30 lbs.
Nonetheless, it is at least a two person job - three people would be the best.
If you first have all the hinge bolts a little loosened-a-little by yourself, the other two people would be needed for about 5-10 minutes (to carefully walk the hood forward, off/over the front of the "body").
Make sure you have enough space at the front of the truck, so that the hood can be removed forward.
Let's see what other members post. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,300 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,300 | I'll bet more than 30 lbs.
Nonetheless, it is at least a two person job - three people would be the best.
If you first have all the hinge bolts a little loosened-a-little by yourself, the other two people would be needed for about 5-10 minutes (to carefully walk the hood forward, off/over the front of the "body").
Make sure you have enough space at the front of the truck, so that the hood can be removed forward.
Let's see what other members post. Tim is right...the weight is not the issue. One person can handle it but is a stretch and very awkward. If it is off the truck one can move it around. Trying to remove it and clear the width of the fenders, you would need strong orangutan arms at least. Best get some help... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,296 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,296 | A refrigerator is too heavy for one person to carry. The empty box is not heavy at all, but too awkward to handle easily by yourself. Same for an AD hood. I have done it by myself, but I am stupid. Two people, grasping it from the sides makes it a breeze.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,258 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,258 | I seem to always have to do this stuff myself. I've come up with the proper size prop to put in front of the hood to hold it up. A piece of 1" x 2" wood. I'll remove the springs first and fold them down next to the fender. I then place a towel or blanket on the cowl so that the paint won't get scratched. Then I'll remove the hinges one side at a time and let the hood corners rest on the cowl. Once free, I'll go to the front, remove the wood while supporting the hood, put one hand at the nose and one in the middle seam somewhere and lift. I use the reverse procedure to install. | | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 82 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2013 Posts: 82 | Thanks for the info. I got it off today. Had two helpers so that I could just remove the bolts while they took the weight.
'52 Chevy 1/2 ton running original gear
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 |  Better safe than sorry . . . | | |
| |
| |