Was just wondering why a dry sump, is the clearance that tight or are you building a race motor?
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Mick53 is a pioneer. It is best that we leave pioneers to their work. He has been working on some high end stuff! I'm talking, Holy crap stuff. Search his posts for pics.
Last edited by 52Carl; 08/23/20191:40 AM.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
I can put a small block V8 oil pump into a 216. Has anyone ever seen a 216 that actually has oil pressure? It's also going to have aluminum pistons, displace 224 cubic inches instead of 216, has replaceable connecting rod bearings, and a leak-proof rear crankshaft oil seal. It's also going to look bone-stock original from the outside. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Was just wondering why a dry sump, is the clearance that tight or are you building a race motor?
Yes it's a 292 billet crank and cam, distributorless ignition, 4-71 blower with 3 two barrel Roch carbs, cross flow 12 port aluminum head. This will eliminate windage and give me 3 gallons of oil. adjustable oil pressure and it also has a thermostat on the oil cooler so it comes up to temp quicker. I figure a lot of protection for a lot of engine. Plus of course "chicks dig it".
Does your pump have one pressure and four scavengers? On blown engines we usually use two pressures for a separate system for the blower unit and especially for a turbo which gets ultra filtered lube. Has someone actually followed through on a 12 port? There has been several "setting up" or "taking orders" in the last dozen years but no hard parts delivered.
[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...umber/10733/filename/20190120_153128.jpg[/img] I looked at doing a 12 head, pockets just aren't deep enough yet. Sisell has a nice product, Aussie Speed seems to be the go to for blown motors. I worked with a lump port from Mr6HotRod, my first port conversion. It wasn't that bad , just took my time opening up the ports being careful not to remove too much material. I CC'd each port trying to keep the size equal. Here as some pics of the lump port.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
My head is out of New Zealand. It's the first of it's kind. The casting has been delivered and is being heat treated. It's been in development for about 10 years. I'm not sure how much more I can say at this point.
I can put a small block V8 oil pump into a 216. Has anyone ever seen a 216 that actually has oil pressure? It's also going to have aluminum pistons, displace 224 cubic inches instead of 216, has replaceable connecting rod bearings, and a leak-proof rear crankshaft oil seal. It's also going to look bone-stock original from the outside. Jerry
Dry sump systems can be adapted to just about any engine- - - -the pump mounts outside the block and is belt driven by the crankshaft. It scavenges oil from a custom built pan without a sump, stores it in a remote tank, and one or two stages of the pump provide pressurized oil to lubricate the engine. In any application except an all-out race car, it's a solution to a nonexistent problem. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...umber/10733/filename/20190120_153128.jpg[/img] I looked at doing a 12 head, pockets just aren't deep enough yet. Sisell has a nice product, Aussie Speed seems to be the go to for blown motors. I worked with a lump port from Mr6HotRod, my first port conversion. It wasn't that bad , just took my time opening up the ports being careful not to remove too much material. I CC'd each port trying to keep the size equal. Here as some pics of the lump port.
I looked into Aussie speed's blower. It's a little light weight for me and no room to grow. The ribbed 1" belt was a major drawback also. They always slip in a HiPo setup
Last edited by mick53; 08/26/20191:23 AM. Reason: info
The 292 is my first jump into a HiPo 6. My Dad had a friend with a blown 300 $@*! in an Anglia body, he ran alcohol. It did really well, course he wasn't pushing the weight of a truck. I learned a lot about factory GM heads doing this build, most are junk when it comes to making them breathe. I matched the gaskets and blended the runners while doing the lump port conversion. Enlarged the intakes to 1.86 and exhaust to 1.60 and took .020 off the head. I think I have a good combination for what it's going in.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
The 292 is my first jump into a HiPo 6. My Dad had a friend with a blown 300 $@*! in an Anglia body, he ran alcohol. It did really well, course he wasn't pushing the weight of a truck. I learned a lot about factory GM heads doing this build, most are junk when it comes to making them breathe. I matched the gaskets and blended the runners while doing the lump port conversion. Enlarged the intakes to 1.86 and exhaust to 1.60 and took .020 off the head. I think I have a good combination for what it's going in.
As Mike Kirby said to me, "The magic is in the head".
The thing about working on the 292 is that I have had to modifiy a lot of parts to get the results I was wanting. Don't get me wrong I love to figure something out and make it work so this is really a learning curve. The goal is to fire it up this coming weekend, I have it setup on a home built run stand with a raditator and all. I just keep going over stuff in my head, I know it will stay together but I want it to run stong. No doubt I'll need to play with the timing as it's a pretty radical cam. In a 292 it may be a little more docile than say a 235 or 250. Cross your fingers for me.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Just observations: Oil pump upgrades generally produce enough pressure (with your chosen viscosity) to keep all parts wet, cool & safe during whatever the engine does. For most engines, the usual "10 psi per 1,000 RPM" is enough (at the gauge, the actual bearings see much more), and this can be obtained (in many engines) by lighter oil than you suppose. More than that just beats up the pump drive, and may de-stabilize the linked ignition timing. Regardless of pump size, when the relief valve opens (* most of) the extra pressure and volume are short-circuited to the pump inlet or the pan. The engine can't get any more than the relief valve permits.
* with OEM and some other pumps, the relief valve will not pass the entire over-pressure volume, causing system (line) pressure to spike and blow out cam plugs, seals etc.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Yes, that's hot! That's within the range where initial spark advanced a bit helps clean up the idle mixture setting, 10-15° (with the same total obtained by deducting any extra from the advance curve). I suggest trying it out, you may be fine.
The 292 and 250 use the same head. I think the basic difference is the stroke. Maybe Hotrod Lincoln will chime in he knows way more about these engines than I ever will.
Extra stroke length is almost always the reason for a "raised block" engine. For instance, the 383 and 440 MOPAR engines, the 302 and 351W Fords, and even the 216 and 235 Chevy sixes. The "tall Block" Chevy truck 427's don't have a longer stroke than the passenger car engines- - - -they use taller pistons for better low-RPM lugging ability. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Many engines built with low and high deck: Chrysler early hemi V8 DeSoto hemi V8 Dodge early hemi V8 Dodge poly V8 Buick nail head V8 Chrysler "Slant 6" Ford small L6 OHV Ford small block V8 has 4 different! Olds "Rocket" V8 Pontiac V8