| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Southerntruck, Gray_Ghost, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, JW51, MRMEROTH11, Mike Burns, KEVINSKI),
77
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,133 Posts1,056,396 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2019 Posts: 95 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2019 Posts: 95 | I just purchased a 1947 3800 panel and am curious about what the standard gear ratio is and if there are any aftermarket kits available to change this one out so I can drive it down the highway. This is my first post and there is probably a post that answers this question somewhere but I haven’t found it. Thanks for any directions here! David
1949 Chev 3800
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 444 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 444 | David,
Welcome to stovebolt .
Standard gear ratio for the One Tons would be :
5:14 to 1 with 14 " Drums & 2 & 1/2 " brake shoes .
There are NO aftermarket rear axle kits available .
New parts for this old Eaton axle are scarce to find .
Brake drums are non existent .
Brake parts are hard to find .
Other bolter's will chime in with their ideas
on axle swaps .
George '54 3600
Last edited by '54 3600; 08/07/2019 4:28 AM. Reason: add
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2019 Posts: 95 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2019 Posts: 95 | Thanks George. That’s what I was afraid of!
1949 Chev 3800
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 A teacher, but always an apprentice. | | A teacher, but always an apprentice. Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 | Here is a good read for you. I did this swap. It’s great. It is simple to do and makes the truck drivable. The hard part is finding the donor... it took me a couple years of looking. Mind you I wasn’t looking really hard. The funny thing is I found the donor 4 miles from my house and got there while 1972 C20 truck for $500. I could likely sell it for $1500-2000! https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/axles/1%20Ton%20Upgrade/ | | |
| |
| |