The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, jmoore, NorCal52Suburban, Donf), 183 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,208
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1319522 07/28/2019 4:35 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox
Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
I’m just a shade tree mechanic but like to say that I do things right (to my best ability). Regarding brakes, I’ve learned over the years that the larger shoe goes to the rear, the leading shoe is smaller and goes forward, but does this really matter? If it does, what are some symptoms that might arise if they are backwards?
Could this cause brakes to intermittently catch?
Does it matter Bendix vs Huckster?
Wear patterns?


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Fox #1319530 07/28/2019 11:10 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 293
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 293
Hey Fox;

I've been battling with the brakes building pressure for quite a while for some strange reason the front drivers side starts to drag first after a couple of applications then all the rest follow. Both times driving to and from Reynolds and for the KMS show they would heat up to the point of locking up the right front on grass! Yikes
Usually I would just end up by either getting out the adjusting screwdriver for the front or the wrench for the rear and if that didn't work a quick release of the bleeder valve and I'm good to go for another cruise. Relying on the e brake sucks! drive
Every component of my brake system was replaced with new parts. I even took the driver side shoe return springs into Edmonton Brake looking for new ones!
At EB is where I got a old school lesson on Huck brakes, the first thing Joe did was drop the spring on the concrete floor listening for the sound they were OK. Next he went through the brake system with me asking what was replaced and if all pivot points were moving and not binding!
He then asked if I'd adjusted the master cyl clevis mounting point where it attaches to the brake pedal lever. He explained that it MUST be just a couple of thousands of an inch loose not tight as the return valve that maintains slight pressure in brake system is extremely close to the end of travel. If it's adjusted up tight the piston won't return far enough. When I got home I climbed under the truck and after backing of the lock nut and with less than half a turn you could hear the pressure being released in the brake cyls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yahoo I apparently had it to tight when installing the master cyl.
I plan on bring my truck by for a quick look over which I will do as soon as it dries up here!
I don't know whats going to happen when all the old mechanics who are willing and able to take the time to explain these old systems close up shop. These guys all over are going to be missed big time.

cool Stay safe!

Doyle

As a side note to my above post all four drums are still in great shape, and even after the brakes dragging issue the linings are down but everything is still well within safe tolerances.

Last edited by doyle1950; 07/28/2019 4:01 PM.

1950 Chevrolet model 1434 5-Window Canadian manufactured 1-Ton with Dump Bed / Hoist
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
You will never stop learning new things, no matter how old you are.
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox
Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
Nice! I think I’ll check mine too. I have had a couple lock when nearing a complete stop. But mine was almost as if the drum was out of round and catching on the “hump” in the surface. It can’t hurt to check.


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0